Brass band uniforms

Ynot

Sitting at a production meeting and been aked about brass band uniforms - needed for Sweer Charity in late October.

After a Google around haven't yet found anything as yet - will be calling a few marching bands in the next few days, but has anyone got any suggestions for a costume hire outlet that could supply?

(Director has apparently tried most of the usual suspects she can so far...)

Sitting at a production meeting and been aked about brass band uniforms - needed for Sweer Charity in late October.

After a Google around haven't yet found anything as yet - will be calling a few marching bands in the next few days, but has anyone got any suggestions for a costume hire outlet that could supply?

(Director has apparently tried most of the usual suspects she can so far...)

From what I remember of growing up in brass band territory the uniforms for most bands consisted of black trousers, white shirt & "band"ties, topped with jackets with the "band" crest on the pocket. Provided they don't need to be too distinctive, it should be easy enough to mock this up to fool an audience 10 feet away. My thought is that a school uniform supplier may be useful, especially if you can find one prepared to sell at a distance so the crest etc aren't instantly recongnisable.

HTH

Glyn

My parents met in a brass band and I'm afraid I've been brought up with them!

2 different types of bands have been mentioned here so far;

Brass bands - think Grimethorpe, Black Dyke, Yorkshire Imperial Metals, Hammonds Sauceworks, Otley. Uniforms tend to consist of black trousers with shirt and a blazer. There may well be 2 different blazers per band depending on the job. Watch the film "Brassed Off"!

Marching Bands - think 76 trombones and, I think, sweet charity like you've mentioned. Uniform for these is more of a naval jacket with a longer tail.

I guess you want the latter, in which case I don't think local bands' uniforms will look "the part". You're really after the american version. Funny as it sounds, try looking for naval jackets, they are a little more like american marching band outfits. If in doubt, stitch loads of gold braid onto them and it'll look fine!

I too spent my spotty youth with the marching band parafernalia, at about the time when the yank style was becoming popular (though my own band was a traditional scout band, one of the best/smartest in the country in the late 70's).

So with the right band, I think that might not be a problem (providing they're happy to loan/hire out for a week).

It's just finding one that will!!

:blink:

Sweet Charity is a bit more of a fantasy American marching band than something from Brassed Off.

I would only suggest the usual hire suspects and if you've ever read any of my posts on where to get any uniforms you would know who I would recommend.

I have costumed this scene as all girls as majorettes and that look may be one that would work for you.

Archived