hidden UV lighting for ceiling

Chamuca48

Hello all - Know NOTHING about lighting - please help.

I am a ceiling muralist - use Invisable Glow In the Dark Paint. There are two colors that are fine without UV light - and another 5 that need it. I can make masterpieces with all 7 colors but need to find a way to convince clients to put some kind of UV light in their bedrooms. Any suggstions ???

Thank you !

Sheila in Mexico

I am a ceiling muralist ...I can make masterpieces with all 7 colors but need to find a way to convince clients to put some kind of UV light in their bedrooms. Any suggstions ???

A question first: it would seem that, if they are the ones having the painting done, they would know ahead of time that they'd have to have UV, so are you asking that they install it prior to your painting? I would think, given your profession, you'd have UV lights ready to work with.

So, three suggestions:

1) Have a professional photographer document your work and keep a portfolio.

2) If you don't already (and why wouldn't you?), invest in a few UV lights and keep them handy.

3) Be humble; don't refer to your own work as masterpieces...

-w

I'll add one more: tell the clients their current lighting only shows off 29% of what they paid for.

I was actuating taking it as clients would like the art but don't want extra lamps or uv to replace the normal "white" ones.

In which case I can only think of, perhaps some surface mount 1ft UV tubes that can be placed in the floor. If surface mount is possible there must be someone who does them. Obviously they would need a grill or perspex shield.

I was actuating taking it as clients would like the art but don't want extra lamps or uv to replace the normal "white" ones.

In which case I can only think of, perhaps some surface mount 1ft UV tubes that can be placed in the floor. If surface mount is possible there must be someone who does them. Obviously they would need a grill or perspex shield.

I was thinking that it might be possible to get some birdies's with a UV dichroic or dark gel Lee181 perhaps.

Moderation: OT bickering removed.

Regards C

Guess the OP is talking about work similar to this:

http://www.glomania.com/picture_galleryA.html

blue/greens have a very,very long glow time, but reds fade within a few seconds hence the need for blacklight to sustain the effect.

The type of lamp your looking for is called BlackLight Blue, shortened to BLB in lamp catalogues. Also known as blacklight and UV.

Always use fluorescent blacklight sources, the filament bulbs with a blue coating are useless.

As its only the ceiling needing lit, floor probably isnt best place for mounting.

Blacklight tube fittings could be concealed in few places, on top of a wardrobe or behind a TV set or picture hanging on the wall. Blacklight tubes range in size from 4" to 4`, 12" tube with ftiing is probably compact enough to conceal.

Or use a desk lamp that will take a compact fluorescent PL lamp with the shade turned skywards like:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...;x=683&y=58

and use a BLB PL lamp:

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=...Blacklight+Blue

or use a more conventional CFL lamp in an existing fitting:

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=...lacklight+Lamps

Similar lamps and fittings will be available in Mexico just pulled these for example.

Musht has hit the nail on the head! That , I belive is excatly what you are looking for.

You would then be able to put the bulbs (yes I know lamps glow, bulbs grow) into any domestic fitting, be it a table Lamp or wall / ceiling. This arrangement would suit your needs 100% , and not at a great cost ether.

Also, if you bought a few, you would be able to do a simple "swap-out" at any location , as long as you could get a black-out, without worrying about installing extra lights , plugging them in etc etc.

Good advice from Musht there.

Thank you very much Musht - your info is very helpful. My problem is that here in Mexico we are very limited on what is available and the quality of what is available is quite bad. I have a tube UV light on the scaffolding I use to work and the fittings on the ends are not "right" so everytime I move the whole thing I must readjust the lamp for ti to go on again. A real pain in the behind.

I am now thinking I will have to go to the US and bring back a box of the lights you recommend.

And, yes, I do create "Masterpieces" - if one is not appreciative on ones own work how can you expect other to value it ?

If you are having problems in obtaining good qaulity UV lamps and fittings locally, you could allways buy overseas.

It should be noted that the majority of flouresecent light fittings are intended for permanent instalation on a ceiling and not for portable use.

Your statement that you have to fiddle with the flourescent light on your (metal ?) scaffolding is bit worrying, sounds as though it might be potentialy dangerous, though we cant tell without seeing it.

I would suggest that you obtain one more flourescent fixtures intended for building site use, rather than fixed installation.

Be sure to get the sort with a strong wire mesh cover over the lamp and lampholders, the type with a plastic cover probably wont work as I think that the plastic blocks the UV.

It would be prudent to use an RCD with the lights (GFCI in the USA and presumably also in Mexico)

For permanent UV lighting in your customers homes, I would agree that UV compact flourscent lamps in standard fixtures are probably the answer.

Think mail order in Mexico can be hit or miss, certainly had problems sending things there.

Adam2 has great advice for a building site fluro for working with, your current arrangement sounds ,er, uncomfortable, getting a fright up ladders or scaffolding can spoil your day.....

Kinda like the sales line of without blacklight your customers are only seeing 29% of what they`re paying for. Guess bringing in a case of BLB CFLs would be a good additional sale especially if they`re unobtanium in the local market.

Just a tip, Black Light Blue, BLB is a specific colour of tube with a dark blue Woods glass coating, specifically in lamp catalogues there are also Black Light, BL, tubes which do not have a woods glass coating, these appear a very blue white with lots of visble light. Just be sure your looking at BLB, lessons of ordering wrong thing long time ago still with me ;-)

Thank you Boys for the ideas. Yes, importing into Mexico is very uncertain and horribly expensive. I would be better off driving up to the US and getting what I need there - tho it is 4 days driving there and back. Oh well - as the Old Greek used to say "If it were easy everyone would be doing it".I found a platform in the US that seems to be marvelous for what I need - a bit expensive but I think worth it as I am an old lady (60 years young ) and yesterday I did a whole room up and down a ladder ( I am very short ) - today I can hardly move !!If your interested look up Safe Tech ( I think ) on google. The platform I had jimmied is just to heavy for me to move around - will pass that on to my son - when he learns to paint. Is there any one "portable construction" lamp sold in the US that you could recommend ? I could order it delivered to my brothers home and pick it up next month.Thank you both for all your help !

.It would be prudent to use an RCD with the lights (GFCI in the USA and presumably also in Mexico)For permanent UV lighting in your customers homes, I would agree that UV compact flourscent lamps in standard fixtures are probably the answer.
Thank you Adam - what IS RCD and GFCI ??????

Moderation: Please don't quote back entire posts, it isn't necessary - just quote the important bit

RCD= Residual Current Device, a special kind of circuit breaker that measures the current flowing in the live and neutral wires of a circuit, if the currents are not very nearly equal (perhaps because some of the current is leaking to earth/ground via a person) then the circuit breaker will trip and reduce the risk of fatal electric shock.

These devices are not totally reliable, and are certainly not a substitute for safe working pratices, they are however a very useful additional safety measure, especialy for power tools, portable work lights and sinilar.

In the UK, and I presume elswhere,RCDs are available as special plugs intended to replace the regular plug, or as adators to fit between the wall socket and the plug fitted to an appliance.

(they are also available for fitting, by an electrician, to the fixed wiring of premises, but this is of little use for mobile work such as yours)

GFCI= Ground Fault Circuit Interupt, USA term for what is basically the same device as an RCD.

Archived