Reinforcement Design Software

ryandell

Hello,

I dont know whether this subject has been covered before, but I was wondering if there was any sound design software out there. I have recently been planning for a few productions and want something to document some of these designs that I have made on paper. Also I would like to know if there were any alternatives or if anyone has used sound design software before.

All suggestions Welcome

Thanks

Ryan

This has been covered, but is worth more than one look. As paulears asks, what are you trying to accomplish? I use 2 main programs for almost all of my documentation, and a calendar program to keep track of scheduling. I use VectorWorks for all drawings because I am a MacOS based guy, and VW works well with AutoCad files. Almost all the creative staff I run into use one or the other of these 2 CAD packages. All my speaker layout planning is done in plan and section views in VW, as are cable runs, and integrating with lighting so we are not both trying to occupy the same space at the same time. I readily share CAD files with the lighting designer, and the technical director so that there can be an integrated set of drawings that includes every department. Distribution of drawings to others however is always via pdf files. They are easily viewed by others, and cannot easily be edited.

For all patching and cable related data I use FileMaker Pro. Over the past 20 years or so I have developed a few databases for my own use in FM that keep track of all the cable on a show, and allow me to keep all cable patching data in one place so that changes only need to be made in one place. I have premade templates for all the consoles I use regularly, and another one for jobs where there is really a LOT of cable and I am just managing the cable plant. When I used to manage all the audio cable on SuperBowl there might be close to 100 multicables ranging is size from 6pr to 56pr, with lengths of up to 3000'. While this can be done in Excel, I rarely see Excel used as more than a rows and columns word processor when it comes to cable management and patching. If is fairly easy to set up in FM. I also use FM for invoicing and contact management, although some contact management is through my e-mail set up.

Those are the things I need to accomplish on a show, what do you need to accomplish?

Mac

Hello,

Sorry I didn't add the relevant details on the first post, I want to reproduce my plans, patch lists and cable data. It's basically just reproducing previous designs made on paper that I wanted to have a copy on computer, so that I can recall them on the rig up and to have various print outs to hand.

Thanks for the links, keep them coming

Cheers

Ryan

Hmmm...the edit function seems to be gone. It occurred to me that in my previous post I didn't list some software that I rely on in almost every show. That would be the array design software for whatever speaker system I am using at the time. With well designed arrayable speakers and the right software it is possible to get the coverage of the audience very close to as good as it will get. Some fine tuning or adjustments for unforseen issues may have to be done on site, but the software will get you very close.

Mac

This has been covered, but is worth more than one look. As paulears asks, what are you trying to accomplish? I use 2 main programs for almost all of my documentation, and a calendar program to keep track of scheduling. I use VectorWorks for all drawings because I am a MacOS based guy, and VW works well with AutoCad files. Almost all the creative staff I run into use one or the other of these 2 CAD packages. All my speaker layout planning is done in plan and section views in VW, as are cable runs, and integrating with lighting so we are not both trying to occupy the same space at the same time. I readily share CAD files with the lighting designer, and the technical director so that there can be an integrated set of drawings that includes every department. Distribution of drawings to others however is always via pdf files. They are easily viewed by others, and cannot easily be edited.

For all patching and cable related data I use FileMaker Pro. Over the past 20 years or so I have developed a few databases for my own use in FM that keep track of all the cable on a show, and allow me to keep all cable patching data in one place so that changes only need to be made in one place. I have premade templates for all the consoles I use regularly, and another one for jobs where there is really a LOT of cable and I am just managing the cable plant. When I used to manage all the audio cable on SuperBowl there might be close to 100 multicables ranging is size from 6pr to 56pr, with lengths of up to 3000'. While this can be done in Excel, I rarely see Excel used as more than a rows and columns word processor when it comes to cable management and patching. If is fairly easy to set up in FM. I also use FM for invoicing and contact management, although some contact management is through my e-mail set up.

Those are the things I need to accomplish on a show, what do you need to accomplish?

Mac

cheers for the info as I use vector works can you let me know where I can get the audio symsbols from or could you send me an example of the audio layout in vector works

cheers

Mike

cheers for the info as I use vector works can you let me know where I can get the audio symsbols from or could you send me an example of the audio layout in vector works
I have made all my symbols myself. I either get a dxf file from the manufacturer's site, or I just get the dimensions and draw it from scratch. It isn't very hard. I would be happy to send you a sample drawing, but this site doesn't allow attachments, so you will need to send me your e-mail address in a PM. It will be a file of several meg. If you do not have a broadband connection, you will not want to download it. :(

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

I want to learn/see how to use such programs that design the reinforcement designers use to create such a system for tours, shows etc. Can you guys recommended anything?

Many Thanks

Tom

Moderation: MERGED POST - as a new member you probably haven't noticed this topic from only a few weeks ago on the same subject. I have merged the two together. Paul mods

I want to learn/see how to use such programs that design the reinforcement designers use to create such a system for tours, shows etc. Can you guys recommended anything?

Do you mean programs that help document the wiring / layout / connection of a system, or software that allows you to predict and model the behaviour and acoustic performance of a system?

Archived