Stereo XLR Leads and splitters

Trunker

Hi,

I am after a 20m Stereo XLR lead. This will be used for my stereo pair of AKG 414's for recording Brass bands/Orchestras etc. I will also need the Y-splits for these as well. I feel that having this lead will make set-up/tear-down easier than having to do 2 seperate cable runs. Does anyone know where to buy them? Have 'Googled', but no luck for me......been one of those days.

Many Thanks in advance,

Matt

You might know this already, however if you use one XLR cable to carry a 'stereo' or 2 seperate signals then you would have to be running unbalanced lines which with microphone level signals is a bad idea. Especially if you are using it for recording purposes.

I do know this, but you can get a 'Stereo' XLR connector with 5 pins. (Is it a DMX connector :angry: ?) You the split this into 2 3 pin connectors at either end. I have seen them used before, but cannot find where to buy them.

PS Johnhuson. This will then be balanced.

It will indeed be balanced by using a 5-pin XLR, but your original OP didn't stipulate a number of pins and when discussing mics and XLR cable, I'd say it's a fairly safe assumption that your talking about 3-pin. I think the fact that your struggling to find something pre-made is that, although it would certainly work it's not something that is commonly used.

Nothing to stop you making something at home if your handy with a soldering iron.

I've seen someone using them before, but I think it was homebrew again not off the shelf. Equally I imagine you will struggle in the same way with the splitters. I doubt someone would make one thing but not the other. I'm sure VDC and similar would do them for a price.

What about the 5 pin to 2 x 3 pin splitters?

If you're competent with a soldering iron, it'd take about 10 mins to make one, and cost less than a tenner. If you're very competent, it'd take less time :angry:

If you're not very competent, then either find someone who is and give them some beer vouchers, or treat it as a challenge and learn to solder! It's a very useful skill.

Edit: or get some cable similar to the "twin figure-8 2-core screened" on http://www.vdctrading.com/products.asp?SubSectionID=2#p29 and solder 2 standard XLRs onto each end.

Note that I said "similar to" - that cable may not be ideal as it's foil screened rather than braided - although I'm sure I've got some at work and it's not too bad....

dont know the complete answer, but be aware that most 5pin XLR cables used for DMX (DMX cable is fine for audio) do not have 4cores and sheild, they only have 2pairs + sheild and only use 3 of the 5 pins.

<pedant> If they're DMX cables, they'll have all five pins connected. If they don't, they're not DMX... </pedant>

In any case, two pairs plus shield is perfect for stereo balanced audio. If you could find some nice flexible CAT5, that would also do the trick with a core to spare.

When I've casually looked in the past for two-pair cable, I've found very little. Multis always seem to start at four or more pairs which is a little frustrating.

If you ARE handy with a soldering iron, are you also handy with a bit of lx tape. Perhaps it's me but if it were me (and I do it for things like returns and keyboards in stereo etc) what is so bad with just taping 2 leads together?

I do understand where you're coming from, you can run 1 single cable out and then have a short adaptor lead to 2 3pin XLR's and then hook up normal XLRs to it,or skip the adaptor and just have a split lead the length you need it but why?make a long lead up and tape it together so far up and not the rest of the way then yo can split them and its only 1 lead you're running. ok its larger in size but you just need 40m of cable and 4 plugs which'll cost you about 4 and a half Yen, rather than messing about with bespoke cables that are bound to go wrong and adaptors and then split leads.

A drummer I work with regularly has a loom of 6 leads taped together of varying lengths with the longest being 15m. All he does is plug the 6 clearly labelled male XLR's into the multicore runs it under his riser to remove any excess cable, clamps one bit to the front leg and thats the perfect length for each of his drum mics, and his vocal. It's getting a bit excessive with 6, but 2 is not a big lead.

Just a thought.

Good idea, but for all the effort involved why not loom 2 standard XLR cables together?

Potentially even put them on a windup drum, that really increases setup/teardown speed, as the reel can be left at one end and the tails just reeled out to where they need to go, and at the end just lay them out straight and reel them back on.

[edit]

Beaten to it...

Frankly I'd probably just loom two standard cables...but with PVC tape rather than cable ties. You only try to coil cable-tied looms once then the scars remind you not to do it again.

However, if I was going to do a "proper job" as specified, I'd use THIS CABLE. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I wouldn't worry about 5 pin XLRs; I'd just use 2 standard XLR3s at either end with some Hellerman or shrink tubing in the appropriate places to reinforce the individucal cores and offer some strain relief where you break leave the main outer.

Bob

Archived