Martin Mac250 Krypton/Entour & Zero 88 Frog Lighting Desk

MattBreen2008

Hello,

Over the next 3 weeks we're planning to record an entire lighting sequence for our upcoming school production. We are familiar with the recording and operation of normal stage lights however we have 2 Martin Mac 250 Krypton/Entours which have been attached to the rig but never used.

I'm not entirely sure if they have been assigned to do the lighting desk (Zero 88 Frog) and there is nothing on the LCD Display above the control wheels etc.

We are kind of in a hurry to get these working but I appreciate we might have to start at the very beginning. We have the manuals for the desk and the lights but they're not proving to be much help at the minute. Similarly, we are hoping to get a company in this week to show us how it's all done.

If anyone has any thoughts on where we can even begin, checking that they are even connected and what the connection requirements are + assigning to the frog desk we really would appreciate it. Then we can spend the time learning how to programme the lights etc as opposed to the initial setup.

Whilst we are familiar with normal stage spot lights, fresnels and par cans etc we have never had the opportunity to work with moving head lights...

As they say, I suppose you have to start somewhere!

Any help would be great.

Best Wishes

Matt Breen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok well first u need to know excatly what MAC it is and then prepare the lights first. if you only have 2 then try this:

MAC 1 - DMX ADDRESS 200 , MODE 4

MAC 2 DMX ADDRESS 220, MODE 4

Then on the desk, go into super user and then fixture set up. from there u just set the type of moving light you are using and its start address to a fixture number - but its all done simplly on the screen using the up,down left and right buttons.

however, depending on the sortware version of ur frog , u might need to download the updated personality fixture files from Zero's website.

RU based in London ? could spare a morning to help u if u want.. PM me

The latest version of the fixture library can be downloaded from the Zero 88 website CLICK HERE

It contains the following fixture profiles ..

MARTIN MAC 250 Entour

MARTIN MAC 250 Entour Enh

MARTIN MAC 250 Krypton

MARTIN MAC 250 Krypton En

Download the fixture library and copy onto a floppy disk. You can then assign the fixtures as required. Ensure that the fixture type and operating mode match the real fixtures that you have in your rig.

If you have any further questions on assigning and patching fixtures, feel free to post in the corresponding section of the Support Forum ... HERE

I know it seems obvious to some, but you did ask about connecting them etc-

Make sure they both have power, NOT from the theatre dimmers, both can come off the same standard 13amp socket.

Both Macs also need to be connected by DMX to the frog, and the way of doing this depends on your venue, using 3- or 5-pin cable either into a DMX network or just running cables in a daisy chain all the way to the desk.

Then as LXBydesign says you can start setting them up, patching and using them.

ok well first u need to know excatly what MAC it is and then prepare the lights first. if you only have 2 then try this:

MAC 1 - DMX ADDRESS 200 , MODE 4

MAC 2 DMX ADDRESS 220, MODE 4

Then on the desk, go into super user and then fixture set up. from there u just set the type of moving light you are using and its start address to a fixture number - but its all done simplly on the screen using the up,down left and right buttons.

however, depending on the sortware version of ur frog , u might need to download the updated personality fixture files from Zero's website.

RU based in London ? could spare a morning to help u if u want.. PM me

The latest version of the fixture library can be downloaded from the Zero 88 website CLICK HERE

It contains the following fixture profiles ..

MARTIN MAC 250 Entour

MARTIN MAC 250 Entour Enh

MARTIN MAC 250 Krypton

MARTIN MAC 250 Krypton En

Download the fixture library and copy onto a floppy disk. You can then assign the fixtures as required. Ensure that the fixture type and operating mode match the real fixtures that you have in your rig.

If you have any further questions on assigning and patching fixtures, feel free to post in the corresponding section of the Support Forum ... HERE

Both of these are correct

If that dosen't work delete the fixture from the channels

and reset the macs by reconnecting them to electricity and redoing the DMX circuit (mabye the DMX's are loose)

Re-add the fixture as explained above

I had the same problem and that seemed to fix it

Dan S

+ btw it woulden't appear on the screen unless you have selected the fixture

Hello All,

Thanks for all your replies on this - It's great to know amidst the numerous forums that exist online some ones to get replied to! Firstly thanks for all your help. I'm going back into school tomorrow and have taken the afternoon off to sit down and go through it step by step. The only problem is due to Health and Safety - yes that dreaded phrase I've been told that there is a strong chance I wont be allowed up on a pair of ladders to actually ensure the MACs are plugged in and powered on... this maybe a stupid question in itself but can I still see if the MACs are already assigned fixtures on the desk without them actually being powered on? I'm going to print off this forum and bring it in with me tomorrow to help me.

Also, (and forgive the blatant cheek of this statement) if anyone posting replies is in the Birmingham area and could spare an hour or two we would really appreciate it.

;)

you will need to know the addresses of the fixtures, this is usually displayed on display of the fixture when they're on (sometimes you need to press one of the buttons to make the screen display the figure)

you then use that number as your DMX address for the fixture on the frog

As I said I am making a tutorial on how to assign, etc, the fixtures to the desk so you'll be able to all of it ready for programming!But, you say that you've got a Frog Desk. A Frog Desk can't handle movers but a Fat Frog can. Could you say whether it is a Frog or a Fat Frog please?

EDIT:

I have been PMing Matt and it's been confirmed that it is a Fat Frog and not a Frog. I have finished the tutorial and soon I'll post it up on the web when I can.

I have finished the tutorial and soon I'll post it up on the web when I can.

I think you might be reinventing the wheel a bit ... Sam Henderson has created a Fat Frog programming tutorial some time ago. A search of the BR archives will, no doubt, yield more information. There's also a perfectly good online manual.

I've just made one because I thought It would help. :)

And in a PM Matt said that he's read the maunual.

A Frog Desk can't handle movers

yes it can,ok its a pita to program,but its possible

You're right, a Frog can handle movers but it's a pain!

Archived