AKG Wireless Mics

Mark S

I used to have a pair of the non-pro versions of the handhelds of these... (linky)... at work. I dont know if they still make them.

They really are budget mics, they worked okay most of the time, however I found that the non-diversity nature of them (only have one antenna per receiver) meant that they didn't tend to work too well at long distances. Also, having them as fixed frequency was a bit annoying, when trying to fit all our other radio mics into a limited number of frequencies we had licensed. Strangely enough once I was doing an important gig and one of the mics kept cutting out despite only being around 10 feet from the receiver.

I also found that they were quite plasticy and we had a number of problems with the on/off/mute switch and the cables that joined the capsule to the body of the mic (people seem to love unscrewing the capsule from the body).

When one of them got dropped and stopped transmitting we took the plunge and got some nice sennheiser radio mics instead (ew100 series)

I really would recommend looking into getting something a little less cheap and cheerful, especially if it is for something important where it really matters if the mics stop working and there is no backup mic on a cable.

They don't sound too bad at all, they lack headroom as alot of budget mics do, but overall can't complain sound wise. Not used the enough to know about build quality and reliability.

However, to Soundie......there is often a minimum distance between tx and rx aswell as a maximum. It matters less that maximum distance / range but you can often get "overmodulation" if yuo are too close.

Rob

Edited : mittens.

I agree with the replies so far, they are a DJ-grade thing not really suitable for true pro-use, though am-dram would probably be ok!

Since Harman have taken over AKG the after sales support is patchy (and not aloways polite) to say the least, it all depends on who answers the phone. For this reason alone I can't recommend them.

Be careful with the frequency choice for these. Although these are UHF systems, they are fixed frequency - except for the FLEXX model which gives you a choice of three (whoopee!). You need to make sure you order the units in the correct frequency band - particularly if you are wanting to operate in the license exempt channel (863.000 to 865.000).

Personally, there are better

Steve

Archived