what do you call these fixings

bruce

Ok, Ok, this is verging on the :off: :)

I need to permanently fix a shoebox-sized weatherproof plastic box to a pole - about the same diameter as a typical lamppost. The box has no external fixing lugs or boltholes. Box must remain weatherproof. And I won't know the exact diameter of the pole until I come to do the job.

The current plan is to screw the box to a wooden backboard, sealing the screwholes with some silicone sealant, and then to have some sort of strap holding this to the pole. But what sort of strap?

We were thinking about the sort of thing that is used to mount roadsigns etc - a bit like a big jubilee clip. But what do you call them, and where do you get them in small quantities? Any other suggestions?

At the moment it's all held in place with cable ties :)

AdTHANKSvance

Thanks, that RS part looks ideal. And after looking at it, and getting some clues what to search for, I found CPC's FN01016 and FN01017, which are 3m lengths with several clips for about half the RS 1m price! That's despite searching CPC in vain for ages before posting...

Actually, I guess that big cable ties might be fine as well... the current cable-tie lashup isn't any use, cos they cover the front of the box, and I need that to be removable. But cable ties round a backplate would probably be OK...

Selected IP55+ boxes have separate interior and fixing holes so that the seal is not dependant on the fastner.

I'll second that. I only searched RS because it was 1AM and I couldn't face CPC's search tool. It is much better than it was, but...

It helped that I knew that it was called "* Banding".

Signfix have a range of products, and a couple of useful help pages about fixing methods.

I'd probably recommend using unistrut (or similar) on the back of the box instead of wood if this is going to be a permanent install. It won't rot, and you'll be able to tighten the banding more.

Ok, Ok, this is verging on the :off: :)

I

We were thinking about the sort of thing that is used to mount roadsigns etc - a bit like a big jubilee clip. But what do you call them, and where do you get them in small quantities? Any other suggestions?

We put christmas light fittings up on lamp columns using this stuff the guys called it a band-it machine , you might try your local council to see if they can help the strap is a roll and the machine cuts it once its tightend

try this link http://www.band-it-idex.com/

Archived