How to operate a Martin Magnum 2000 smoke machine with no control pane

carley

I have a Martin Magnum 2000 smoke machine with no control panel :P

does anyone know the most economical way of getting this smoke machine to work?

I have a DMX controller with a "fog machine" output/connector - but it is not a 3-pin connection (like the one on the back of the magnum), it has 4 pins close together....looks a bit like the connection for your keyboard/mouse to your computer!

Is there a lead I can get to connect the fog connector on the controller to the magnum?

many thanks

PS. I'm also looking for a fluid bottle/filter!

OPERATING VIA A 0-10 VOLT SOURCE

Basically, operation via a 0-10 Volt signal is similar to operation via the remote control unit,

since the voltage level in this case determines the function. You will need to connect your

analog source to the XLR control input on the back of

the machine. Before connecting you must ensure that GND (ground) on your analog source

will connect to pin 1 on the XLR control input and that the +0-10V output on your analog

source will connect to pin 3 on the XLR control input.

Voltage applied to

control input

(approximately)

Function

0 - 1.0 V No function - machine stand by.

1.0 - 2.5 V Enabling the heater circuit - same as ’power on’.

2.5 - 9.5 V Smoke emission. Output increases with control voltage.

9.5 - 10.0 V Timer store.

So you can run it from a 10 volt control source - does this sort it?

OPERATING VIA A 0-10 VOLT SOURCE

Basically, operation via a 0-10 Volt signal is similar to operation via the remote control unit,

since the voltage level in this case determines the function. You will need to connect your

analog source to the XLR control input on the back of

the machine. Before connecting you must ensure that GND (ground) on your analog source

will connect to pin 1 on the XLR control input and that the +0-10V output on your analog

source will connect to pin 3 on the XLR control input.

Voltage applied to

control input

(approximately)

Function

0 - 1.0 V No function - machine stand by.

1.0 - 2.5 V Enabling the heater circuit - same as ’power on’.

2.5 - 9.5 V Smoke emission. Output increases with control voltage.

9.5 - 10.0 V Timer store.

So you can run it from a 10 volt control source - does this sort it?

cheers Paul - I'm new to this, but your explaination makes sense :huh:

I wonder is this what the "fog control" output on my controller does???....mmmm

If not, is there such a thing as a "0-10 volt controller" on the market that would be suitable? (a quick google search provides no results!)

Many Thanks!!! :)

There's a dedicated DMX controller for the Magnum, part no 90758020 - seems to list at £89 in the UK

cheers Tom - I've mailed a few to see if they're in stock but had hoped I could find a cheaper alternative...a lot of them seem to add vat on aswell so it costs a lot....never realised how expensive it would be when I purchased it. Doh! :huh:

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

Bringing an old topic back to the floor.

I have just purchased a Magnum 800 fogger and would like to get it on DMX control if possible. I know there is a DMX controller available, but in the grave yard we have an Antari X-310 with the X-20 DMX controller - again a 5 pin connection from the controller to the fogger. Any ideas if these will be the same pin out? The connectors are different but I can overcome that.

Do we think this controller will run the Magnum?

Thanks

Nick

Guest joewhite903
we have a spare in the shop , I will find out how much my boss will sell it for, I found it when raiding the store room looking for somthing too fix <_< ;)

Guest joewhite903
Spoke to the boss , cheapest he will do for the one we have is £70 + P&P , thanks joe pm for any other info

Archived