Mechanical blackout for mounting on front of UV searchlight

Neil Gavin

Hi there,

I am working on a public art installation that is using some UV searchlights ( colorlight CL 03-22 ) to illuminate UV paintings on buildings.

They are in outdoor locations exposed to the worst of the weather..

Because these use a discharge lamp I cannot quickly control the light output ( on/off ) without turning them on and off which will shorten the lamp life ( and probably not do the unit any good ! )

Does anyone know of a mechanical shutter/iris that I could mount on the front of the lamp ?

I was also thinking in terms of an old fashioned rotating colorwheel !?>

Has anyone any suggestions ?

Many thanks

Neil

Rotating shutter this size is called a Lobsterscope, outdoors in the wind probably not so clever.

With Ynot on the louvres, look up Aldis Lamp particularly with where the Colorlight comes from;

http://www.colorlight.com/

Would also think talking to someone like Wildfire might be worthwhile, not cheap but neither is marine grade UV guess:

http://www.wildfirefx.com

Does your budget time and money get as far as a naval signalling lamp they had shutters capable of flashing morse at a reasonable speed and were certainly weatherproof. There were some at Anchor supplies (Nottingham and Ripley), But price and availability and ease of conversion!?!

The operating principle is like a venetian blind but operated by a lever

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil, although I have not tried this idea myslef, I have heard of guys dimming UV with a scroller that starts with clear and uses varying shades of green from light to dark all the way to a blackout.

Hope it helps

Chris

Archived