Turbosound Tsb-118, Top options?

Sirch Sound

Hi peeps, I have just taken delivery of a pair of Tsb-118 subs, and was wondering what sort of tops you would reccomend to use with these. There is a strong possibility I am also going to upgrade to 4 tsb-118, to create a decent pair of stacks, so with this in mind what sort of tops are going to be able to handle this? I would have thought im looking at 15" and probably turbosounds but im not too fussed about sticking to the same brands.

Cheers

Rich

I would go for a 12 rather than a 15. it's a personal preference but one that is shared by I'd say a majority on here. the reason being a 12 usually responds to vocals better than a 15, it also means that the crossover point between the 12 and the HF driver can be a little bit higher. Compression drivers crossed over too low can sound very harsh. To stick with turbosound you have a large variety of boxes you could use. it would depend on budget. For wallet friendly application you can't beat the TXD range, TXT121 being the box of choice for your application. For most program material this should be fine with 2 of your subs per side, I think you'd run out of horizontal coverage sooner than headroom with ref to the subs output.

Moving up to the higher end of the scale. the TQ445 are a stunning box which also incorporates a 6.5inch horn loaded mid section. they're a little on the heavy side at 30kg but they are a 3 way box rather than a 2 way box. they are biamp, so you'd require 2 amps to drive them, and they retail at over £2000+vat per box but for high spl pole mountable options from turbosound and alot of other manufacturers, you won't beat these.

Would agree with Rob on the point about using 12" over a 15". Guess it does depend on what kind of work you are doing. The TQ-445 is a great box that I've toured with a lot a (combined with TQ-425 2x15") and it never let me down despite the scary venue size/PA available ratio I was sometimes stuck with. Forget about ti being the size of a UPA its more like a baby Floodlight. Not cheap though.

Perhaps a more cost effective option might be the new NuQ-12 cabs, which are active/passive and can be used on their own or as wedges.Haven't used them myself as yet. But have heard good things.

But the 6.5" paper mid on the TQ-445 certainly gives it a sweet responsiveness especially on vocals.

F

Archived