Le Maitre neutron XS problems

Benedict

I am having problems getting this mister unit to work. It worked intermittently so I cleaned up the tube then it would not work after its cleaning cycle and flashed error code 2 which relates to the thermocouple. I am not sure where this should sit on the tube and wondered if anyone could help. I have guessed it, now it works for a short while and now flashes error code 4 which is current control to the tube which it has not done before.

I am having problems getting this mister unit to work. It worked intermittently so I cleaned up the tube then it would not work after its cleaning cycle and flashed error code 2 which relates to the thermocouple. I am not sure where this should sit on the tube and wondered if anyone could help. I have guessed it, now it works for a short while and now flashes error code 4 which is current control to the tube which it has not done before.

Oh dear. If the thermocouple end has actually become detached from the tube then you need a new tube! About £30 I think.

If, of course, you mean the thick brown-insulated wire with the brass clamp, that goes about 2.5cm from the straight end of the tube where it enters the plastic t-piece. The thermocouple is connected via the two very thin red and blue twisted wires (with the DIN connector that plugs in). I think the thermocouple junction sensor is normally spot-welded to the tube about 2cm back from the bend (where half the tube is removed to allow the heated haze to vent and you can insert the cleaning rod) and there's a little fuzzy collar of something seriously heat resisiting holding the thermocouple wires away from the rest of the tube.

I don't think trying to solder or otherwise reattach it manually is going to give satisfactory results.

You should be able to re-solder the themocouple wires to the DIN connector, though, if that's where it came loose (not that I've tried).

But speak to Le Maitre support- they're very helpful (and answer even stupid questions related to Neutron XS maintenence quite happily, as I've discovered).

Note that over-vigorous cleaning and reassembly can push a spring, and any of two silicone sleeves and tubes into the t-piece the tube is attached to, blocking haze fluid output.

The spring in the end of the haze tube is only essential for new tubes (before it's gotten adequately grotty to provide nucleation points for the hazer fluid to boil from). However, at least one of the silicone sleeves should be put on the end of the tube inserted into the t-piece to improve sealing.

It is important that the tube be properly tightened onto the LV current supply, but especially the brown cable should not be over-tightened as this will crush the tube and stop fluid flow.

You have answered a question for me and that is the thermocouples spot weld has gone hence it can slide along the tube. I was careful with connections to the tube and T piece thanks to service manuals advice but there was no mention or diagrams of where the thermocouple should be.

Think it may be new tube time as it has done some service and £30 is not the end of the world.

Thank you for your advice.

Archived