removing pops & SSs

timtheenchanteruk

I have a show coming up, with some vocals laid ontop of a backing track, this has been recorded, but there are still some pop from prominent Ps, and eSSes from, well, Ss.

is there a software patch, preferably free, or a trial to plug into audacity, or another program to clean this up? at a pinch I can re-record the recording via my compressor that has a de-esser in it, but this wont solve the pops.

re-recording the whole thing could be a problem as the particular cast member is away till next tuesday (tech rehearsal day) day! at the time they didnt sound bad on headphones, but at home on my monitors they sound really bad!

HELP!

and thanks!

A de-esser might work on the mic audio track, but it's not a huge amount of use on a finished recording - as they tend to be very obvious. On just the vocal they work quite well, as the backing remains tonally static.

For future reference, (or if you decide to re-record) use a popper stopper. It's a fine mesh that you put a couple of inches in front of the mic, which stops the blasts of air, but lets the sound through.

just re-read my OP, and probably an important bit of info, I still have the recording on the multitracker (Fostex VF160) so can process the vocal only track.

Thanks for the info on the pop-stoppers, I do have some foam shields but an oversight I forgot them (DOH!)

If your compressor has a sidechain input then you could try sending the vocal signal through an equaliser, boosting the bass (for the pops) and the treble (for the sssssssss) and then feeding the equalised signal to the sidechain input.

Cheers

James.

The dB Audioware De-essaer gives pretty good results in my experience and should work with Audacity. It's not free but there's a trial version available at: http://www.db-audioware.com/dB-S-de-esser-more.htm

Pops, in my experience, are way harder to deal with after the fact...the only success I've had is to manually play with each instance, using a mix of EQ and/or level control...time consuming but you can improve things.

Just an FYI, the pop shields mentioned above are NOT the same as foam windscreens. They're the circles of what looks like ladies' tights material that go between the mic and mouth (and are often seen in music videos). Maplins will sell you one for under a tenner that, in my experience, works almost as well as the expensive name brand stuff.

Bob

If your compressor has a sidechain input then you could try sending the vocal signal through an equaliser, boosting the bass (for the pops) and the treble (for the sssssssss) and then feeding the equalised signal to the sidechain input.
Cheers, I shall try that, even if for experimentation more than anything else

Just an FYI, the pop shields mentioned above are NOT the same as foam windscreens. They're the circles of what looks like Ladies tights material that go between the mic and mouth (and are often seen in music videos).
so will a foam screen a similar thing?? forgive my ignorance, but if you don't ask....

Im not used to doing pre-recorded stuff, I mainly deal with live theatre, however the play Im dong has a music track, with a voice over as the "thoughts" of the caricatures, hence the recording.

The only recording ive done really is keyboards and drums for backing tracks.

Archived