ASL HS-1/D Wiring Instructions?

little suzie

Someone yanked the cable out of a ASL HS-1/D headset. I opened the part, but no trace is left how the wires were soldered onto the pads. I've got one white and two red wires (all screened) coming from the 4-pin XLR connector.

Does anyone know which goes to the microphone which to the speaker?

• 7 years later...

As this just happened to me, thought I would share the cable details on the HS-1/D, helpfully supplied by ASL in the Netherlands:

The cable has three shielded wires, one is ribbed, this is the MIC wire.

Pin 1 = Mic Shield

Pin 2 = Mic Red

Pin 3 = Ear, Red + White

Pin 4 = Ear, Shield of Red + White

One possible anomaly is that in the site linked to above (and in Canford's literature on the Tecpro stuff), pin 3 is 'negative' and pin 4 positive, that seems possibly at odds with the instructions from ASL? Does anyone know if there might be a good reason for reversing these?

As this just happened to me, thought I would share the cable details on the HS-1/D, helpfully supplied by ASL in the Netherlands:

The cable has three shielded wires, one is ribbed, this is the MIC wire.

Pin 1 = Mic Shield

Pin 2 = Mic Red

Pin 3 = Ear, Red + White

Pin 4 = Ear, Shield of Red + White

One possible anomaly is that in the site linked to above (and in Canford's literature on the Tecpro stuff), pin 3 is 'negative' and pin 4 positive, that seems possibly at odds with the instructions from ASL? Does anyone know if there might be a good reason for reversing these?

The general standard for all comms headsets that I am aware of is pin 3 is ear low and pin 4 is ear high. I can't imagine a reason to have it reversed although I also don't see it being a problem since it's just a mono speaker. With 5 pin binaural headsets 3 would be common low, 4 left high, 5 right high.

Mac

Further from ASL:

The pinning 3 and 4 is not so important, we use bridged amplifiers in the Pro-Series and the results is that pin 3 and 4 have audio signals on them of high levels.

The most important is the MIC pin 1 and 2.

In the worst case your unit might feedback at a very high frequency due to capacitive coupling in the XLR or cable. You will experience that in MIC ON situations with high listen volume. Then you will know that you must change the cable.

Archived