trantec 4 pole lemo connectors

timtheenchanteruk

Hi, does anyone have any Idea where to get these from? Ive tried CPC, and sure that they are there somewhere, but can`t find the particular Lemo in question.

I`ve previously bought the mics with the lemo`s on but seeing as trantec have changed their connector for a mini jack, they probably wont be round much longer.

... as trantec have changed their connector for a mini jack, they probably wont be round much longer.

Their website shows the cheap and cheerful lapel mic with a 3 pole 3.5mm jack, but the 55, 212 and 259 are available with jack, Lemo or bare end. I doubt if they would cut off the supply of replacement mics, given the countless thousands of Lemo fitted belt packs out there...

Even if they did, many people like me have drawers full of broken Trantec mics that were cheaper to replace than to resolder the pesky Lemo connector ;-)

cheers, im not too sure about the dry up though, Ive had it before where supply has continued for a few months, then vanished.

Im not to sure why the change to a flimsy `orrible minijack tough, unless its just a price thing, I would have though it would be a major weak point, not nesseccarily with the mic, but in the bodypack, lost count of how many walkmans/ portable CDs and MP3s gone through in our house with failing minijacks.

Tim,

RS is good for these. You need:

215-6004 - Free plug, Lemo OB, 4 pole - £11.79

215-6026 - Collet for thin cable - £1.03

215-6048 - Strain relief boot - £1.24

Total - about fourteen quid plus VAT(!)

Trust this helps,

Pete.

Talking to Trantec at ABTT they explained the move away from lemo connectors as a financial one - aparently the cost of supply to them was too high for them to continue using them......

James

But don't lemo make triax connectors for example, which aren't exactly going to stop being the broadcast industry's standard SD camera connector any time soon. I take it trantec looked at the price lemo were charging for their connectors and for better or worse chose to switch.

James

don't think lemo make anything cheap at all! - On my Trantecs, the weak link is not the Lemo, but the plastic box the thing bolts into. It's very fiddly re-tightening the nut, and I had one where the entire lemo connector and socket got wrenched completely out. I guess with Sennheiser seeming to manage fine with 3.5mm connectors, there's no reason to assume Trantec won't be the same.

Lemo have a stand at the Broadcast Show - they had all sorts of pin variants in that style on the stand - so I suspect there must be other equipment using them - probably just not in our area?

Indeed they are very common in professional comms, particularly military and civil aviation. My "Voice Switch" at work uses them on all of our plantronics headsets and I can vouch for their longevity. Our controllers jack in and out 4 or 5 times a shift. 4 days a week for 2 years and we are only just getting failures due to pin wear. The occasional dry joint caused by over-reaching or forgetting you're plugged in and trying to go to the loo (almost took his head off - the headset, not me!).

I seem to recall us using RS as well for these, though I have a sneaking suspicion Farnell also stock them. One interesting thing I found out about RS, if they stock some of a brand (i.e.Lemo) they are dealers for their full range, though the full range may not be listed in the catalogue. In other words, ring and ask! It may not be in stock, but they are agents and can order in.

I too can't see Lemo withdrawing a range of connectors. Imagine the backlash if a firm set up all their case design and PCB's to accept one type, then it was withdrawn. So I guess the changeover was from Trantec's side not Lemo's.

And yes they are bloody exensive, but they're well worth it in the long run.

Talking to Trantec at ABTT they explained the move away from lemo connectors as a financial one - aparently the cost of supply to them was too high for them to continue using them......

Lemo may be expensive compared to other connectors used in the audio business but they're cheap when you start comparing them to some of the mil spec connectors that they compete with in industrial applications. They have also proved far more reliable in arduous conditions than connectors costing much more.

Cheers

James.

I too can't see Lemo withdrawing a range of connectors. Imagine the backlash if a firm set up all their case design and PCB's to accept one type, then it was withdrawn. So I guess the changeover was from Trantec's side not Lemo's.

the supply of the actual connectors wasnt the issue, its the ready terminated lavs, I generally use the cheap & chearful £25 ones with most of my stuff, as I tend to do lots of dance schools etc, where there is very little respect for the mics, and the more expensive ones dont seem to last any longer, and whats being put in isnt worth the extra expense for the little different in sound quality.

Hi, does anyone have any Idea where to get these from? Ive tried CPC, and sure that they are there somewhere, but can`t find the particular Lemo in question.

CPC catalogue Page 1277 ( 1278 for boots )

Try Lemo direct, very helpful and will supply in small quantities subject to a min order value of I think £50 (or is it £30) ;)

Kathi Pasko kpasko@lemo.com

LEMO (UK) Ltd.

Unit 15 & 16

Hazelwood Trading Estate, Worthing

West Sussex, BN14 8NP, GREAT BRITAIN

Phone: (+44 1903) 23 45 43

Fax: (+44 1903) 20 62 31

Archived