Multicore 30m 12/4 - Help Please

djsmiler89

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could help me, my school are looking to buy a new multicore to use on band tour. We are looking at a 30m, 12 channel and 4 returns on a drum. We go on tour once a year for 7 days and only do about 4 or 5 concerts however we would like it to last for a few years, our budget is around £300 excluding VAT. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

I contacted someone from AC Lighting and he said they could not recommend anything in my price range that would handle the stress of being on tour, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend anything they have used for my price range that has lasted.

thanks for all your help

P.S PCP???

P.S PCP???

Do you mean CPC?

To be honest for the amount you're going to be using it, any multicore stored on a drum and treated with reasonable care should last years & years.

Some of the ones I have at work are very old and obviously made of cheaper cable. I have had to repair one when the tails got shut in the van door.

Edited out an extra "the" that sneaked in when I wasn't looking.

Try this product from Thomann

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_sk415-30_multicore.htm

We brought two back in 2004 and I'm still using the first one. It three two week tour with no problems. We do, do yearly checks of the connectors and re-solider and replace connectors as they become weak or broken, like any cable in touring. We also made a flightcase for it to provide it in transit.

But shop around, but remember the end of the day it is a cbale and they do take wear and tear. In a school situation you may need to check it before using it.

The very same one I bought three years ago, and I have had no problems.

At the same time, I bought this so that I could store it. Combined, it weighs a bomb, but it keeps everything nice and tidy. Mine came with castors too.

That said, you get what you pay for - mine has cheap plugs and the box contains strips of connectors rather than individual ones but is OK for my needs.

I contacted someone from AC Lighting and he said they could not recommend anything in my price range that would handle the stress of being on tour,
that sort of surprises me to be honest.

When you spoke to AC did you make it clear how often you tour?

As you say "once a year for 7 days and only do about 4 or 5 concerts "I'd say that any of the cheaper Thomann/CPC etc offerings would be fine.

If, however, you just said 'touring' they may have assumed a 20-week 6 shows a week pro tour, in which case they would of course have been right....

I did make it clear that it was for a school, he may have thought we were doing more touring than we actually are, I’ll phone them again in the morning to check he fully understands the situation,

Thanks for the help, I have a better clue of what we are looking at spending now and what will do for tour.

For something that will only be used for one week out of the year, have you considered hiring? I know that's not always as straightforward as it could be in a school, but it should set you back less than £50 each time.

We use a couple of the cheap CPC 30m 20 x 4 in our school. One is used weekly in school with no problems in almost 2 years. The other has been loaned out quite a few times to local bands etc again with no problems. It's actually in there current essentials mini catalogue for just under £170 -DP2935204

Garry

It's always worth buying a few more channels than you think you'll need initially - the increase in cost is proportionally quite low, and it is useful insurance against breakages, as well as providing some "future proofing".

Also, look at getting some sort of case for it. For multicores that come without drums, I've had quite good results using the large rolling toolcase things that B&Q sell for about £90.

I'd second the recommendation of the Thomann one, I own two and they go out every weekend or near enough 2/3 days of a week and after a year nd a half and 9 months, neither has failed on the audio side of things.

Only thing that broke was the handle on the front had a case drop on it in the van, snapped one the little bolts, the rest of the case didn't get a dent though!

Never seen or used the CPC units, so can't comment there.

Tom

Archived