Lighting with front projection.....

benweblight

Hi, not sure which is the right forum for this but thought I'd try in here.

At an event im working on next weekend they want a logo constantly projected onto the venue's screen at the back of the stage. Video isn't my speciality, the projector is a 'Sanyo PLCWF10 16/9 4/3 4000ANSI lumen', how will this cope with some minimal stage lighting?, is it do-able?. Anything else I should bear in mind?

I'm sure a custom gobo would be alot better but think it's too late for that sadly.

Also, quick playback question, I guess a looped DVD would be the best option here, or is this not seamless?

I project "backdrops" for school plays 35 feet onto the rear wall of the stage from a 1500 lumen projector. It's visible when the stage is lit and more-or-less visible when the wall itself is lit, depending on what colour everything is.

Get the logo as a computer file and put it into a PowerPoint. That's how I do it. Works fine. Add a plain black frame before and after the logo frame and you can turn it on when you're ready and off when you want a blackout.

I've done this a few times onto white corporate sets and it works very well indeed - particularly with a nice bold greyscale image. Minimal lighting will be fine as long as you're aware that going nuts will just wash out the image. :)

If you need to do it on DVD, make the projected image into the menu screen of a dvd - that way you can do it as a still image and it'll stay constant. Make sure your dvd doesn't turn itself off after a while. Powerpoint is a better solution, though.

depends on throw distance and so on, but as long as you're careful with your focussing then it should be alright.

There are some companies that do very fast turnarounds of custom gobos, so you may not be too late.

Obviously that costs more though!

Goboland are pretty good - they can do full CMYK dichroic glass, so the 'full on artwork' isn't the end of it.

Alternatively, you can use something like a Rosco ImagePro with a printed acetate in the slot.

For playback to a projector, either replace the desktop wallpaper with the logo or use a Powerpoint/OO.org Impress slide.

I project "backdrops" for school plays 35 feet onto the rear wall of the stage from a 1500 lumen projector. It's visible when the stage is lit and more-or-less visible when the wall itself is lit, depending on what colour everything is.

Get the logo as a computer file and put it into a PowerPoint. That's how I do it. Works fine. Add a plain black frame before and after the logo frame and you can turn it on when you're ready and off when you want a blackout.

OR you can make one slide and press B for Blackout on the keyboard <_< :) :P

OR you can make one slide and press B for Blackout on the keyboard <_< :) :P

You learn something new every day! Although I'll continue inserting black slides where I want a blackout as it means the operator only has to press one key as the show proceeds.

Remember when front projecting that if cast members stray too near the rear wall, they will be covered in this image as well. If you can rig the projector above and keystone the image to fit the wall this will help.

Remember when front projecting that if cast members stray too near the rear wall, they will be covered in this image as well. If you can rig the projector above and keystone the image to fit the wall this will help.

In my limited dramatic experience this hasn't proved to be noticeable unless the stage lights were off. Then it just looked a wee bit psychedelic and didn't detract from the production, although this would probably depend on what play you were doing. Plus when the stage was dark the projector was also off.

If you want to display an image on the screen then I think you will find Screen Monkey easier to use than PowerPoint. It supports fading to black which you can use when you do not want the image displayed. You will still get the black light output from the projector though.

You can find out more about Screen Monkey in the Wiki. It was designed with applications such as yours in mind.

In my limited dramatic experience this hasn't proved to be noticeable unless the stage lights were off. Then it just looked a wee bit psychedelic and didn't detract from the production, although this would probably depend on what play you were doing. Plus when the stage was dark the projector was also off.

Most video projectors won't turn on and off very easily, the bulb needs time to warm up and cool down between switchings, so all I can say is you were very lucky! :) The effect isn't noticeable of the LD has loads of face light on stage, but as soon as they try and do something a little 'moody' using saturated colours or just side lights the effect will become very pronounced, trust me. If you do a search on these forums about projector blackout shutters you'll find lots of info about how to beat this effect.

Most video projectors won't turn on and off very easily, the bulb needs time to warm up and cool down between switchings, so all I can say is you were very lucky! :)

When I said "off" I meant it was projecting a plain black slide which was completely un-noticeable, not that it was switched off, which I agree would have been a disaster.

Archived