Cleaning Sharktooth Gauze

I think I'd put it in a bathtub full of warm water and mild soap, then walk up and down on it carefully. Drying it might be tricky - wring out as much water as you can, then hang it off a fly bar up in the rig with a tarp underneath it to catch any drips - should dry overnight if the venue is warm enough. Just bear in mind that you'll have to re-fireproof it after it's been cleaned. It'd have to be pretty filthy for me to do this though!

What material is it? Cotton, Trevira or Modacrylic (or something else I haven't come across)?

If it's cotton (which it probably is) then wetting it wil not only require application of flame retardent but I would have thought it will shrink/stretch or generally change shape.

Trevira or Modacrylic are IFR and probably less sensitive to wetting.

I'd be tempted to give soemone like Joels or Whaleys a ring and ask their advice.

I'd also try hanging it and then using a wet/dry vacuum on it where it delivers the water/cleaning fluid mix and immediately sucks it out again. A domestic Vax type machine may well be enough, or hire a pro carpet cleaner with an extension nozzle like this.. (This is not a recommendation for the machine or the hire shop. Other hire shops and cleaners are available). Do a very small corner first and and see what the impact is before starting on the whole thing if you are unsure of the material. Incidentally, if you get a pro machine which has a properly pumped fluid delivery, you will get significant spill through the curtain so ensure there is nothing the other side that matters.

Robin

Had to do this once a while ago with a white 60ft x 20ft sharkstooth that got muddy (aren't marquee gigs great?).

I took it to a local laundry with a big enough machine to wash it and dry it - cost about £30.

The re-proofing was the time consuming bit - I hung it on a fly bar and used a knapsack sprayer (ghostbusters kind of thing) full of flamecheck and walked the full length of the drape, spraying all the reachable area, back to raise the bar a bit, walk along, etc etc. The whole thing was never quite the original shape afterwards though...

Sam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived