Mixer and Induction Loop

winterfellstark

Hi all.

I wonder if someone can help. I am a trustee of our village hall and I have been tasked with modernising the facilities - only because I have a hint of technical ability :) and we don't have a massive amount of funds to get a professional company to install what we need.

We want to hook our PC that is connected to our projector to an induction loop system with the ability to use a microphone at the same time.

I presume we need a mixer and induction loop system, we haven't purchased either yet and I haven't got a clue on the type of mixer we'll need. I presume we would need two inputs one with a mic and one with an aux port, but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Simon

A few questions that might help us provide you with better answers:

Do you only need the PC and Microphone to connect to the loop system, or do they need to connect to a PA as well?

Is there any existing sound equipment in the hall, and if so what is it?

Is the microphone existing - if so what is it. If not, what sort did you have in mind and how would it be used?

There are several ways to approach this sort of thing, so a little more background would be useful.

Jason.

Hi Jason

Thanks for your help.

I would like the PC, a microphone to be available to the induction system and via speakers at the same time. The only existing equipment is the projector, there is currently no sound system and there is no microphone. I would be happy with either a cabled or radio mic.

Many thanks

Simon

A few questions that might help us provide you with better answers:

Do you only need the PC and Microphone to connect to the loop system, or do they need to connect to a PA as well?

Is there any existing sound equipment in the hall, and if so what is it?

Is the microphone existing - if so what is it. If not, what sort did you have in mind and how would it be used?

There are several ways to approach this sort of thing, so a little more background would be useful.

Jason.

Hi Yorkie

We are based on the Bath/Somerset border.

Cheers

Simon

If you tell us where you are in the UK, it may be that a forum member who's local could help you out

I wouldn't rule out getting a professional in to have a look - what you are trying to do is not as straightforward as it may seem and you run the risk of spending money on something that won't work properly, or at all. Installing a correctly functioning induction loop does require some expert knowledge.

Do you have a rough idea of what budget you may have available?

As Timsabre says, it may be worth getting a small local company to assist you to get a working solution, and not end up buying too cheap and paying twice.

There is some good value kit out there that can do what you are after, but you can also get it badly wrong.

A rough idea of budget may help get you some more suggestions that could work for you as well.

Jason.

Hey Jason.

Our budget (including installation) is £2500 - possibly £3000.

Cheers

Simon

Do you have a rough idea of what budget you may have available?

As Timsabre says, it may be worth getting a small local company to assist you to get a working solution, and not end up buying too cheap and paying twice.

There is some good value kit out there that can do what you are after, but you can also get it badly wrong.

A rough idea of budget may help get you some more suggestions that could work for you as well.

Jason.

That's not unreasonable as a budget - I expect one of the local Blue-roomers can help you but if not then come back to us and we can make some sensible suggestions. You should be able to do something reasaonable for that.

You're a bit far away for me to pop in I'm afraid.

Jason.

This guide from SigNET is worth a read:

http://signet-ac.co....ide-for-web.pdf

I used this as the basis for an Induction Loop system I added to our local village hall which was based around one of their PDA500/2 amplifiers.

The issue of "isolation" for hearing aid users once they switch to the "T" setting on their aid is important (page 34), so having "ambient mics" as part of the install should be a consideration (e.g. SigNET APM mic plates). In addition, handling of alarm situations (e.g. fire alarms) needs to be considered.

Also you need to consider testing and checking of the system after the initial installation is complete. For this, a "beltpack" receiver and pair of headphones can be used by a non-aid user for assessing and checking the system (e.g. SigNET RXTI2 "Loop Listener").

Good luck!

Kevin

Edit: To link the updated version of the SigNET guidebook.

For future reference, loop cable calculator here (typical install of this size might use 1.0mm^2 to 2.5mm^2 tri-rated single core):

http://signet-ac.co.uk/manuals/Signet%20Loop%20Calculator%20V1.3.xls

Edited by kgallen

Hi

There is a installation company based close to Bath who may be able to help. Their team have experience installing all kinds of audio visual systems including induction loops in community halls around the South West of England. I am sure they would be able to help you. Please let me know if you would like them to get in touch?

Ian

Ampetronic are probably the market leader, but not cheap. Current Thinking do a good-value range (& their own downloadable guides). Millbank & now Mustang, who made very good loop amps, are alas no more.

SigNET and Contacta may be worth looking at. Contacta and Ampetronic have both realised that induction loops alone cannot solve all assisted listening problems, so have developed equipment (or partnerships with firms) using other assistive technologies.

I would add, however, that (IMHO) Ampetronic loop amps sound better!