Blog about a streaming show

richard

Loved reading that!

Edited to add - a lot of folks in the music community are over Macs now, as the port situation on recent Macs is unmanageable, and it's getting too hard to rely on old Macs keeping running, so they are just giving up and adopting Windows. The problem is there is no acceptable genuine substitute for QLab (yet) in the Windows world...

Edited by dbuckley

Loved reading that!

Edited to add - a lot of folks in the music community are over Macs now, as the port situation on recent Macs is unmanageable, and it's getting too hard to rely on old Macs keeping running, so they are just giving up and adopting Windows. The problem is there is no acceptable genuine substitute for QLab (yet) in the Windows world...

We run most of the qlab shows on mac mini now. it is arguably dull with having to lug a screen around . If someone had a stand - mac - screen vesa combo that worked I can see that being worth while. I imagine combined not much change out of the same price.

I think the new fancy pros we have are nice and all, but spending £120 on a dongle for dual HDMI out and needing a back up or 2 + the usb ones. It is just silly.

I have never compared truly, but is SCS really not a great alternative or is it a bit "not quite pro"

We run most of the qlab shows on mac mini now. it is arguably dull with having to lug a screen around . If someone had a stand - mac - screen vesa combo that worked I can see that being worth while. I imagine combined not much change out of the same price.

I've seen (but never used) these, bolted to the back of a screen. The cabling needs a bit of thought to prevent it gettign snagged / ripped out, but once that's done they seem fairly robust.

We have some of those mac mini cages, albeit we mount ours to the booth not the monitor. Quite usable, secure enough to deter a casual grab and run, but like any lock not infallible.

Ours are in clone so with the 2u? twin mount - great for bigger shows, maybe less so for smaller theatre.

Hi

Very interesting reading so far.

In terms of control, you could do no harm to look at Isadora by Troikatronic. It is an amazing program that is a mix of video, audio, control and projection mapping.

Mark, the creator, has made some brilliant improvements for this coronavirus time.

It is a well supported program. You can access all the features except you cannot save in the demo version.

Supports numerous control protocols incl osc.

www.troikatronix.com

This is a link to their approx. 15 covid tutorials all geared towards improving tge experience.

The link in particular is for their live streaming session.

It works on both PC & Mac and the producy is very supported by an active community.

Just a very happy user. No gain here.

Eamon

Hi

Very interesting reading so far.

In terms of control, you could do no harm to look at Isadora by Troikatronic. It is an amazing program that is a mix of video, audio, control and projection mapping.

Mark, the creator, has made some brilliant improvements for this coronavirus time.

It is a well supported program. You can access all the features except you cannot save in the demo version.

Supports numerous control protocols incl osc.

www.troikatronix.com

This is a link to their approx. 15 covid tutorials all geared towards improving tge experience.

The link in particular is for their live streaming session.

It works on both PC & Mac and the producy is very supported by an active community.

Just a very happy user. No gain here.

Eamon

Hi

Understandable re the node programming. I am still at the kindergarten stage myself.

They have combined with a 3rd party who is compiling a software called streamweaver which is looking at the control of show computers using isadora as an interface.

The link below is to their osc interface. Streamweaver is still under development but you can ask to join the beta.

Both companies are expanding the ability to do a remote performance etc.

https://www.liminalet.com/zoomosc

I have never compared truly, but is SCS really not a great alternative or is it a bit "not quite pro"

I've been a happy SCS user for many years now. On the few occasions I've been forced to use Qlab, I've hated every minute of it. Of course that's partly a familiarity thing. With SCS, everything is right there in front of you so it feels far more intuitive whereas in Qlab, the UI is cleaner but that means if you don't know where a function is or even if it exists, you're stuck. The developer of SCS is also amazingly responsive - he implemented a feature request I put in within a couple of days of asking!

The video functionality in SCS may not be quite as refined as Qlab yet but it's improved in leaps & bounds over the last couple of years. The audio functionality is at least as good.

I (slightly cynically) think that part of Qlab's success is down to it being (mostly) free and being about the only option on the platform that a lot of creatives typically already use.