Budget Wash Fixture with zoom

Richard CSL

It looks quite similar to the Showtec Shark Zoom Wash One:

https://www.thomann....om_wash_one.htm

I've no experience of the zoom variant above, but the non-zoom version, the Showtec Shark Wash One (https://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_shark_wash_one.htm) is pretty bright for it's small size - good for a smallish stage/amdram.

Kevin

Where manufacturers provide photometric data you can make comparisons. Where they just say 7x12W RGBW and 'zoom' without even detailing the beam angles you can only guess. This one appears to be from Yuexin. Typically these sort of fixtures have similar output as they all use the same LEDs. As always I would say the difference is likely to be reliability and availability of parts rather than output. In my experience when these sort of fixtures go wrong it tends to be in the LVPSU or control side rather than the LED's or mechanical parts. If I was going with this I would purchase enough to allow for failures with the assumption they would not be repairable.

It looks quite similar to the Showtec Shark Zoom Wash One:

https://www.thomann....om_wash_one.htm

I've no experience of the zoom variant above, but the non-zoom version, the Showtec Shark Wash One (https://www.thomann....rk_wash_one.htm) is pretty bright for it's small size - good for a smallish stage/amdram.

Kevin

interesting that Thomann fixture is 3 times the price , even though clearly based around the same fixture.

There are a huge number of fixtures that appear to be identical in every way other than name but in this case it doesn't look like the same fixture to me. The base, yoke, head, display and LED power are all different. The only significant similarities I can see are the power/data connector arrangement, the microphone and menu buttons. Otherwise it is a moving head LED zoom wash with 7 RGBW emitters. And there are 100's of those. Maybe it's the same, maybe not - depends how you want to define 'the same'. But, in terms of cost, some 'manufacturers' (I use the term manufacturer loosely) need to cover R&D and design and may have other costs such as customer support, websites and documentation. Others perhaps don't. Feel free to read between the lines and make assumptions based on that.

Don't forget that most Chinese movers are simply collections of modules, housings, power supply and driver boards - really clever really - common modules that just need the controllers to be programmed with the parameters for the collection of bits! Most of the cheap movers come from the common breeder units where they simply assemble parts bought in from the other businesses in the building. Even the packing and dispatch is done by different businesses. There really isn't much in the way of r&d just implementations of common parts. I'd bet the same focus module is used in these as found in the 36X10W larger ones - just with a smaller front disk. The spot fixtures are limited by the size of the housing - again, only a few common ones available. If you add a CMY module, then you'd have to lose something else - so maybe the fixed gobo module would have to go. If you want zoom, you can't have something else. Once the bits are in, they just write the programme and away you go - a 'brand new' design, but done perhaps in a day. Occasionally they get things wrong. I got a zoom module in half a dozen I needed for a job, but only part of the range was useful - the position of the zoom module prevented it going through the entire range of angles - the 'hole' in the front set the widest angle, not the lens! They didn't even notice.

Archived