Looking for replacement Quad radio system

MarkBarl

We have a Beyerdynamic Opus system which is a 1U Quad radio system that uses 1 pair of aeriels. Really useful kit as such a small form factor for 4 wireless systems. Unfortunately it is in the 700MHz band which is being phased out next year. As Ofcom are helping with replacement costs, we are looking for something similar to replace them with. Unfortunately, it looks like Beyer have stopped producing this kit. Although I have found a few cheap knock offs of this system from the likes of IMG or W-Audio Does anyone know of a similar 1U quad system from a pro audio manufacturer?

Mipro Taiwan. Which used to produce the kit for Beyer back in the nineties, is quite established in the professional audio market. I'm using their products for more than 10 years.

They offer what you need in a range of 480 to 960 MHz: there should be something for you to choose from.

Just don't know whether they have a dealer in the UK. ( https://www.mipro.co...p5.html?gid=424 )

P.S. Made in Taiwan is NOT Made in China! :D

Yes, we've also got the MiPro system (which was rebadged by Beyerdynamics) at https://www.mipro.com.tw/p4_en.html?gid=17 - seems good quality and never had any problems with them. I don't personally like the aesthetics of the handhelds (https://www.mipro.com.tw/p4_en.html?gid=20&tab=p_Data_en) as they look cheap, but they're actually a well-built metal housing.

When we ordered them (about 2 years ago) we went for the narrowband that covers ch38, but ended up being given the wideband as the distributor had just stopped importing the narrowband devices.

Sam

• 3 years later...

Just found this as I was looking into a relatively inexpensive, but still reliable (!) quad set to go into my 2 small, semi portable amp racks. Currently have four individual Senn W100 G2s with antenna splitter and SKP100s and a cheepo Hill Audio Chinese double with a pair of beltpacks (works OK). Small budget unfortunately (otherwise I would just upgrade the Senn kit or get into JTS). Seems to me the W-Audio DQM800 is not bad, but I am keen to know if I would regret it on the 'buy cheap, pay twice' principle. Over the past few years I have bought (well chosen) second hand kit, but with radio-mics, not sure where the trade off comes between much used pro and new semi-pro (or whatever you call the likes of W-Audio). Any thoughts?

I've had no experience with W-Audio radio mics, but they're definitely at the budget end. They seem to tune only in C65 and C70 - do appraise how that works for licensing and frequency congestion where you are.

I'd recommend sticking with good quality used kit. Plenty of G3 Sennheiser out there with lots of life left in it. Spare parts and expansion options (extra TXs etc.) are available, and most service/repair companies know the kit well. Similarly there's a fair bit of Shure's UHF-R kit knocking around the market.

The caveat to that is that I doubt you'll find much in a quad receiver.

3 hours ago, Keith_ said:

Just found this as I was looking into a relatively inexpensive, but still reliable (!) quad set to go into my 2 small, semi portable amp racks. Currently have four individual Senn W100 G2s with antenna splitter and SKP100s and a cheepo Hill Audio Chinese double with a pair of beltpacks (works OK). Small budget unfortunately (otherwise I would just upgrade the Senn kit or get into JTS). Seems to me the W-Audio DQM800 is not bad, but I am keen to know if I would regret it on the 'buy cheap, pay twice' principle. Over the past few years I have bought (well chosen) second hand kit, but with radio-mics, not sure where the trade off comes between much used pro and new semi-pro (or whatever you call the likes of W-Audio). Any thoughts?

If the G2s are still working and have not been knocked about too much then they will still be as good as the cheap systems you are talking about. As J Pearce says there are quite a lot of G3 systems coming on the market but if you want to replace your cheap pair of beltpacks then you could also have a look at the Sennheiser XSW2 system which is the price point down from the G3/4. It works out about £300 a channel and the frequencies can be set to be compatible with the G2/3/4 systems. There is a slightly cheaper XSW system as well but uses internal antennas so is not compatible with antenna splitter systems.

Dave

Thanks Chaps.

You confirm my instinct to stick with Sennheiser. Had a look at XSW2 - looks nice for the price. I have time to keep my eyes open for some G3 or even G4 if I'm lucky. Also it really is time I got out of Ch70 and bought a Ch38 license. My principle in building up this little business was always buy the best second hand I could, rather than go down the Beringer etc. route. One important point is fixing kit - something like the W-audio or Hill cheapies is, if they go fizz, they go in the Council recycle, but I would try to get the Senns fixed. I now have a retirement home for old Tannoy VX12s and A&H desks - ha ha!

Thanks,

Keith.

Edited by Keith_