Par 36 ACL IWB Bars

DavidCoull

Hi All. Hope everyone is keeping well and as busy as possible.

I have recently come across 25 Used, Long Nose Par 36's. I am planning on stripping them all back and creating 4 ACL IWB bars, each with 5 units on. Some of the units came with old, Low voltage ACL lamps, which I am slightly unsure what to do with. I am interested in wiring each unit on the bar separately for individual control, but I can't seem to find any lamps anywhere that aren't low voltage, 6.4v, 12v etc. I was just wondering if anyone had a solution where I would be able to wire these units into a bar, but still have individual dimmer control over them, Considering all of my stock dimmers are 15amp.

I know this may seem like a bit of a simple question to some people, it's been a while and wanted to keep the memory of Pars alive and kicking.

Many Thanks In advance.

David.

Mains voltage PAR 36 lamps were never common, have become less common, and are likely to become even less common.

I would consider 12 volt lamps with a transformer for each lamp. Make certain that the transformers are suitable for dimming. Other voltages exist but 12 volt transformers are cheap and plentiful.

Long ago I used pin spots! Usually they have a transformer in the housing and are 6.3v 36w VNSP there are also some PAR lamps that are 12v 100w but only NSP then there are ACL (aircraft Landing Lamp) in PAR 36 they are usually a max of 250W and usually 28v, In PAR46 they may get up to 250 and 450w and 12 or 28 volts.

Par cans are usually used with an internal transformer which usually dies if dimmed or switched too quickly.

ACLs are usually used without a transformer as a series array so need to built in arrays of 8 or 9 As they are high power they eat electricity kill dimmers and turn gel to smoke in milliseconds. ACL lamps usually have a warning about ventilation they are used to being cooled by a 150MPH air flow!

PAR lamps in low powers are vanishing as lamp manufacturing closes, PAR lamps as ACLs are still there as there are still aircraft needing them BUT the economy source (mil surplus) is over so you will pay aviation prices for good lamps.