Identifying a tool

Stuart91

I'm needing to buy some more of these tools.

I don't know the name of them, they are used as keys for a recessed lock. I suspect they might be used on flightcase doors or possibly some scenery, but without a name google isn't any good to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

y9zQfe8.jpg

Hi

They are used for opening Cabinet rim locks, which can either be flush-fit or recessed, depending on type.

Frequently seen on large bits of set that needs to be dismantled in a hurry, e.g during scene-changes or intervals.

The tapered design is pretty old now, most modern keys are shorter with a chamfered edge to assist insertion.

https://www.isaaclord.co.uk/product_images/image/417.jpg

All the best

Timmeh

Edits;I can't use the media tag very well.

Edited by timmeh2

Usually called a "Square Key" and available by this name from lots of places including Amazon and local Locksmiths for £2 - £5. Now sometimes supplied as a plain shaft of fixed dimension, likely originally made by hot forging a taper to suit several sizes of non standard "about quarter inch" latches from the start of railways to the present. 6 and 8mm ones are available but the originals would have been a taper through 1/4".

Strait keys will need to be bought to size, taper keys fit most things.

When I were a lad they were sometimes called cabinet keys cause they opened all sorts of cabinets and instrument cases on industrial sites. They used them on any kind of meter with a display including time clocks to provide a dust resistant case that had a universal opening mechanism.

But you have found what you need so a "sesame" is as good a moniker as any.