Outdoor projection (powering)

Dave m

Had a call from an artist who wants to do some 'guerilla style" projection on a building.

The projection would be in early April.

No mains power available.

Projector is a not too powerful Optoma or similar.

Has anybody run one from an inverter or generator?

The generator worries me as a dirty supply might play havoc? plus most are so noisy that they become an issue.

My local Kebab van uses a really quiet one but I doubt it powers much more than a few LED lights.

Can you run a projector from one of those inverter battery packs?

any advice welcome.

THanks

Is this the same enquiry?https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/inverters-generators.565796/#post-4893883

Had a call from an artist who wants to do some 'guerilla style" projection on a building.

The generator worries me as a dirty supply might play havoc? plus most are so noisy that they become an issue.

My local Kebab van uses a really quiet one but I doubt it powers much more than a few LED lights.

any advice welcome.

THanks

More important, check how long the projection is to last both in hours per day and number of days, and check what the source is. Everything eats electricity, the balance of a spare truck battery and an inverter and a moderate generator is where you are working.

1614705518[/url]' post='587539']

Is this the same enquiry?https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/inverters-generators.565796/#post-4893883

1614694567[/url]' post='587536']Had a call from an artist who wants to do some 'guerilla style" projection on a building.

any advice welcome.

THanks

Yes- that's me.Honda generator recommended. Looks like £50 to hire and seems ok?

Afaik it is only for one 30 min screening.

Quite how dark it will be in an urban environment in April is another matter.

If you want portable, generator, and quiet, It has to be a Honda EU. They do several up to 7kVA, which is probably where you want to be looking to get a projector that will get some decent output onto a building. A panasonic 21k laser only pulls around 1500W.

Not what you asked about, but to do anything visible on a building you're gonna need a bigger projector than "a not too powerful Optoma". I did this for a while and we used to use a 10K lumen Sanyo XF45 (biggest thing we could afford at the time). It was visible but not exactly stand-out in full darkness. So I would think 10K is a minimum.

Thanks for all the replies.I am just trying to help someone but you're right - all I can offer is something like an optoma that's not even 4kI will pass on any info for her.

She's being a bit cagey about the purpose, and it's all based on one phone call at the moment.

I did something on Greenham Common Control Tower a couple of years ago for the same group and it's pretty dark there, but we still had to set back the clock to have it dark enough. That time we were inside the tower projecting out onto the glass which was covered in film.

Thanks for all the replies.I am just trying to help someone but you're right - all I can offer is something like an optoma that's not even 4kI will pass on any info for her.

She's being a bit cagey about the purpose, and it's all based on one phone call at the moment.

I did something on Greenham Common Control Tower a couple of years ago for the same group and it's pretty dark there, but we still had to set back the clock to have it dark enough. That time we were inside the tower projecting out onto the glass which was covered in film.

We just did RAF fylingdales... ended up with 52k of projection (four 10k and one 12k) all lined up to get a decent brightness.

Power wasn’t our problem (45kVa road row genny), interference was! Something to do with being 180m from one of the worlds most powerful radar arrays didn’t play nicely with HDMI links. Ended up dropping to HD and running everything SDI.

HDMI can be a bit flaky at the best of times... I once had a tour round Fylingdales with the IEE, when they had just commissioned the phased array radar pyramid, and they said if they steered the radar beam to hit the ground it would cook any passing sheep. Probably just RAF bravado but definitely won't help an HDMI cable.

There are strict rules about any working at height... Fascinating place.

being 180m from one of the worlds most powerful radar arrays didn’t play nicely with HDMI links.

Wonder if fibre would have been your friend here.

Longest cable run was 5m! Fibre would have been overkill! With hindsight I would have done an ultra short hdmi link into a decimator and then SDI links to the projectors.

Wonder if fibre would have been your friend here.

Longest cable run was 5m! Fibre would have been overkill!

At 5m - fair enough. :D

We've come across some potential issues with wireless streamer units that use 4G modems. Cheap HDMI leads are vulnerable to interference from the modems (and built in wifi)). Apparently the problem is that many don't have a shield round the connector itself, the screen is just terminated using a drain wire style arrangement.

Although I'd imagine defence radars put out a lot more energy than a couple of poxy modems.

There are strict rules about any working at height... Fascinating place.

And about maximum time any aircraft can spend in a considerable area around it - even outside the no-fly zone, there are exposure limits on VFR flight.

4G modems can pack quite a punch into the kit they are connected (found that out the hard way), and it gets much worse if the antenna design is poorly done - the tower reports the low signal back down to the modem, which ramps up it's transmit power to compensate. This is really hard to debug if your lab is relatively close to a cell tower!