Selecon Pacific mirror Replacement

DAN160

Hi All,

I have a Pacific that needs a new mirror, (I have sourced a replacement)

However when removing the old mirror. Thats making a mess flaking to bits, I noticed that it doesn't look like it actually touch the heat sink, is this correct?

is there something thats gone over my head?

Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

AFAIK the mirror is not intended to touch the heat sink. The mirror is a dichroic type that reflects most of the light towards the stage, but transmits most of the unwanted infra red in a traight line from the lamp towards the heat sink. This raises the temperature of the heat sink, which in turn looses the heat by radiation and convection to the surroundings.

Same principle as an MR16 type dichroic lamp, heat passes through the dichroic mirror and light is reflected.

Do you mind if I ask how much a mirror costs you based in NZ, if Selecon still have any connection since Philips bought them out?

I have 48 Pacifics and a majority have mirror failure. It must have been a batch issue, most were flaking within 2 years. It's an expensive problem I've been putting off for years.

Im Still quite surprised the Mirrors are sold/made. Considering Philips Discontinued the Blue Pinch lamp for the Red Base Pacifics (by far the most common type in NZ) back in 2018.

However GE made basically a replica since there was still demand, and it is sold for 1/4 of the price Philips sold there's for.

(EDIT) The Mirror in mine flaked all the way through basically at once.

Edited by DAN160

Aside from the blue pinch and the frankly god-awful GKV lamps, Pacific’s could also be fitted with T/25, T/26, and M40 lamps. Having only used T/26s in Strand Preludes, I’d be interested to see how much brighter they would be when used in the ellipsoidal reflector of a Pacific.