Upgrading the site

richard

Hi All

As you may have noticed the forum software is getting rather old - with this in mind we are planning to migrate the site to the newest verson of IPB and will be transitioning to a hosted service in order to reduce the liklihood of any issues in the future. This should give us a much fresher looking site and reduce the load on the hard working moderators who have been battling to keep things going.

This upgrade will come at a cost, and since the site already runs at a loss this cost will come from my pocket - if anyone felt like donating a bit of cash to help keep things going it would be much appreciated - we've had some very kind support in the past and since advertising doesn't pay what it did there isn't much cash coming in otherwise!

We have looked at a number of options and this seems like the most sensible - we really don't want to lose the archive of posts as we feel they are an important record of the industry, and sticking with IPB ensures that the database shouldn't get corrupted

If anyone has any thoughts please do let me know - hopefully this will keep the site running for another 20 years!

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks to all who have donated so far - it's been great to see how much the site means to people! We could always do with more money though so if anyone else can help out the links are still active!

As an update we are currently working with Invision to work out how to get our aged forum upgraded - many thanks to Bruce on all his work on this. I expect we are looking at another week or two before we undertake the actual upgrade, at which point the site will go offline for a period while we perform the actual upgrade and fix the DNS - we hope our downtime won't cause as much chaos as Facebook's!

Richard

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.