LED video wall installation advice

thomasjones

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out by giving me some advice speccing an LED video wall for use outside our venue, as I've been getting some conflicting advice from dealers.

Basically due to the location (we're based in Shetland) the screen is going to be exposed to high winds and salty air - on the one hand I've been told not to get a screen with resolution smaller than say P8 as the smaller components will be liable to corrosion due to the salty atmosphere, and on the other I've also been told that as long as the enclosure is IP65 rated then the pixel pitch can be as high-definition as we like (P3.9, P6 etc.).

The screen will be replacing one that failed earlier this year due to general corrosion of the enclosure and unavailability of spare parts (it was 8+ years old). The old screen had pixel pitch of P12 and was 4m (W) x 2m (H) in size and mounted on the wall above the venue's main entrance about 4m off the ground (to the bottom edge).

If anyone's able to give me some impartial advice I'd really appreciate it!

I am not being funny but for long term outdoor structures I think this is where you could absolutely justify speaking to a proper video wall integrator, somebody like Creative Technologies, or ADI would be a great start

Although to be fair, with the nature of this as a permanent outdoor video display, it might be something actually better put to an LED billboard company rather than a concert/theatrical video company - the former will have a lot more experience with permanent outdoor video displays.

It's hard to say whether an IP rating directly gives an insight into long-term moisture penetration. The first number relates to dust ingress, the second of water (but not necessarily moisture) ingress. That second number is scaled from 1 (resistant to water falling onto it from above) through to 9 (waterproof when deep under water). But nowhere in the range explicitly indicates resistance to airborne moisture as you will get when leaving something outdoors long-term. So whilst it goes with the logic that a higher IP rating will probably keep out said moisture long term, the rating itself is not necessarily actually a formal 'guaranteed' measure of it. There's also the fact that with IP testing, clean water is used and as you've alluded to, sea air is a different beast and salt corrosion can be as much of a problem as the moisture itself... and indeed, the IP rating of something can change after several years of coarse salty sea air brushing against it 24/7...

Edited by dje

As dje says, an IP rating tells nothing about long-term weather resilience. A big problem is 'breathing'; the air in a unit, as it warms, expands and pushes its way out of the enclosure. As things cool down the air pressure inside drops and moisture is sucked in.

You need to talk to your potential suppliers.

Cool thanks guys. As you say it seems like the salty air is kind of a separate issue to the IP rating and water getting into the enclosure. I've spoken to a couple of technicians who suggested possible solutions for the 'breathing' effect etc. but it seems like it would be more a case of preventative maintenance once the installation is complete.

And thanks for the recommendations dje, I'll give them a look for sure!