Sennheiser EW300 G3 Mute Button Replacement

TonyMitchell

I have an EW300 handheld where the grey mute button has severed, it looks like a performer has repeatedly picked at it.

The Sennheiser Pro Spares page indicates, "The SKM300 G3 is the only model from the G3 hand held wireless mics with a mute button the housing. A replacement button cover can only be obtained with part 534499."

Part 534499 includes the grip housing and costs £47.60.

This seems excessive akin to replacing your front lighting clusters instead of being able to change a lamp.

I found an ebay seller (albeit in the US) selling packs of the buttons only.

Has anyone encountered this issue... and how did you resolve?

Edited by TonyMitchell

How old is the mic?

Sennheiser I recall have at least a 2 year warranty but you'd need to send back to them for repair.

I've had a few done over the years, and use their repair or replace process - if they can't repair it within the single stated cost (currently £108) they'll replace it with a refurbed model.

https://portal.sennheiser.co.uk/rma/repairs/wireless-mics

May seem excessive if the switch is all that's bost BUT you then get a repaired guarantee on that mic.

How old is the mic?

Sennheiser I recall have at least a 2 year warranty but you'd need to send back to them for repair.

I've had a few done over the years, and use their repair or replace process - if they can't repair it within the single stated cost (currently £108) they'll replace it with a refurbed model.

https://portal.sennh...s/wireless-mics

May seem excessive if the switch is all that's bost BUT you then get a repaired guarantee on that mic.

The mic is almost 3½ years old and now discontinued in favour of G4 replacements.

Cost in Mar 2016 was £220, book value now £93 after 3 years depreciation.

Aside from it just being the torn rubber switch which *should* be user replaceable, it hurts to charge more to P&L than the residual value of an asset.

If they were still available new, I could buy another one and only charge £55 to P&L in year one.

I have found another ebay dealer selling the button only for £8.80, so will probably buy one and tackle the brass ring inside the grip housing, which one could be forgiven for thinking was intentionally designed to be difficult to remove/replace...

• 4 years later...