Branded Clothing - Nickname

Techie-v2

Hi,

We have been given the opportunity to have some branded clothing for a production we're working on for next year with the option of having our nickname on it. I dont know what name to put on mine. I will be lighting rigger, programmer and operator with a bit of designing. The director thinks I should have mine as "LX Legend" but I do want to seem obnoxious to the rest of the crew so wanted something a bit more subtle without using my real name. Any suggestions? What do you guys get put on the clothing if you have the same kind of thing?

Thanks

I find IDs on blacks rather cringeworthy, to be honest. I like the idea of the production name, and maybe Tech Crew, Crew, LX or Sound that kind of thing, but if it's a school where you can't call people by their given name, then LX Legend is far too pretencious for me. School and college shows rarely encourage the 'legend' tag. In fact, I often wouldn't even wear the show branded ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting it out there... wearing clothing to work with your name (or nickname) emblazoned all over it will, in all likelihood, make you look like a bit of a t!t. A discrete printed or embroidered show logo or company logo, perhaps - that can look quite smart on a polo shirt, especially for corporate work where image matters. But the whole point of wearing blacks to work on a show is to be seen as little as possible - printing logos and names all over a black garment surely renders it rather useless in that respect?

(What is it with youngsters in the business these days who seem to think that it's essential to wear all-black clothing any time you set foot inside a theatre? In 27 years of doing this for a living, outside of corporate jobs I can count on my fingers the number of times I've had to wear blacks to work a show - a dinner jacket, yes, many times when working in opera! But 99.9% of the time it doesn't matter what colour clothes you wear. I've never known any situation outside of onstage show operation where there's been any actual requirement to wear full blacks! I'm starting to wonder whether it's something that colleges are telling students that they have to do these days, or maybe it's just a kind of "hey, I work in tech theatre!" affectation...)

Just putting it out there... wearing clothing to work with your name (or nickname) emblazoned all over it will, in all likelihood, make you look like a bit of a t!t. A discrete printed or embroidered show logo or company logo, perhaps - that can look quite smart on a polo shirt, especially for corporate work where image matters. But the whole point of wearing blacks to work on a show is to be seen as little as possible - printing logos and names all over a black garment surely renders it rather useless in that respect?

(What is it with youngsters in the business these days who seem to think that it's essential to wear all-black clothing any time you set foot inside a theatre? In 27 years of doing this for a living, outside of corporate jobs I can count on my fingers the number of times I've had to wear blacks to work a show - a dinner jacket, yes, many times when working in opera! But 99.9% of the time it doesn't matter what colour clothes you wear. I've never known any situation outside of onstage show operation where there's been any actual requirement to wear full blacks! I'm starting to wonder whether it's something that colleges are telling students that they have to do these days, or maybe it's just a kind of "hey, I work in tech theatre!" affectation...)

I wear blacks because I find that it's the easiest option. In fairness, I have shorts and cargos that are black so it's only the addition of a plain black t-shirt. (I tend to buy them cheaply in bulk - fruit of the loom ladies value weight are good).

Personally, I feel like some people wear branded t-shirts to show off who they have worked for and make themselves look important, so I have a personal policy on branded workwear: I will wear workwear provided by a company when I'm working for them but not when I'm not working for them. If I don't have appropriately branded workwear, I wear plain clothing. I will occasionally wear other branded workwear if nobody can see it (eg, outside gig in winter).