Unknown Strand Lantern

xllx

Is that the first use of mazak castings by Strand?

Not sure, I don't know where it fits in the timeline.

Looks vaguely reminiscent of some ARRI lanterns, but is definitely marked as Strand. Could be something built under licence perhaps. No idea really!

Interesting that these and the 23 and 123 were, I think, the only models to use a die cast body. Back in the early seventies I worked for an engineering firm that used a lot of pressure die cast components and the trouble was that you had to have zillions made at a time to work off the tool and set up costs. They had their own little foundary with two machines going all the time and their own production was paid for by sub contract work doing tooth brush racks and soap dishes and the like which would do maybe six on a sprue at a time which went off somewhere else for plating. But even with vibromill there was a lot of hand fettling needed. A run of their own components was never less than say 5000 which had incredible storage implications. But even then, with the price reduced to a few pence a little bracket with a nutsert could be made as quickly and cheaper - and needing no fettling - by someone sitting at a flypress. (I once made 1000 in a morning at a wage cost I suppose of £2.50) We were, I imagine, in the same sort of batch numbers as Strand and cutting blanks and setting up a power press for say 500 panels was much more straightforward and quicker and they came off ready for finishing. I seem to recall that die casting tools couldn't be made in our own tool room either. It was ideal for little components you'd need in 1000s - which seems to be the same conclusion Strand reached. Edited by Junior8

By the looks of it the original 102 had the box section at the base only http://www.theatrecrafts.com/archive/albumviewer.php?id=28&page=8&type=a the later ones were as the OP http://www.theatrecrafts.com/archive/albumviewer.php?id=37&page=33&type=a

Thanks for clarifying it, there seem to have been two very distinct lanterns that have been called Patt 102 at different times these are the later version for sure.

I still think that this might have not been a Strand designed item but either bought in or licensed, it looks very like Arri or possibly Mole Richardson, the stand shown on that catalogue page is definitely Mole Richardson.

There was certainly co-operation between Mole Richardson and Strand in the TV lighting market and there was also the Century Strand partnership at one time. I have a contact who is ex Mole I will pass on the pic and see what he thinks. Stands of this type were also listed by other makers.