Audio Level Between Radio Mic System and Mixing Desk

Alan Pickwick

I have just bought a Behringer X32 mixer.

I have a 12-way Trantec radio mic reciver unit.

I want to connect the radio mics to inputs 1 to 12 of the X32.

Should I set the radio mic outputs to MIC and turn the channel gain up

or

should I set the radio mic outputs to LINE and turn the gain down on the X32?

I can see advantages on sending at LINE level - less possibility of noise

but

sending at LINE could mean more distortion in the X32 inputs.

Any thoughts?

No practical experience, but the data on the X32 is that a signal level of +21dBu can be handled without clipping. I'm pretty sure that the Trantecs will not produce +21dBu, so you should have no distortion problem on that front.X32 input impedance is 12kohms, quite high for XLR inputs, but as a result should be no problem for the Trantecs to drive.

I doubt it will make any real difference, but I would run at line level for lower risk of interference, unless I suspected a magentic field problem (induction loop?) in which case I might try mic level to see if the lower impedance source tipped the balance. The input impedance will be the same, but the receiver output impedance might be lower in mic mode - or might not (G1 Sennheiser, I'm looking at you!).

As Tim says, this assumed balanced, so be careful: older Trantecs had unbalanced jack outputs but balanced line level on XLRs (S3500 are like this), would definitely have these on XLRs at the lower levels.

No practical experience, but the data on the X32 is that a signal level of +21dBu can be handled without clipping. I'm pretty sure that the Trantecs will not produce +21dBu, so you should have no distortion problem on that front.X32 input impedance is 12kohms, quite high for XLR inputs, but as a result should be no problem for the Trantecs to drive.

I doubt it will make any real difference, but I would run at line level for lower risk of interference, unless I suspected a magentic field problem (induction loop?) in which case I might try mic level to see if the lower impedance source tipped the balance. The input impedance will be the same, but the receiver output impedance might be lower in mic mode - or might not (G1 Sennheiser, I'm looking at you!).

As Tim says, this assumed balanced, so be careful: older Trantecs had unbalanced jack outputs but balanced line level on XLRs (S3500 are like this), would definitely have these on XLRs at the lower levels.

indeed, the S3, S4 & some S1000 & S2000 have a balanced output on XLR and a jack which takes the hot connexion for unbalanced. I found this when I tried to plug into a mixer and a monitor amp and the 48v phantom took out the I/p stage of the amp. I've always assumed the whole Trantec range does the same thing, however my experience with 4000, 5000, 5 etc is too limited to comment.

There is one advantage of using line level rather than mic level. If the cable loses one leg then you lose 6dB either way, but with line level the resulting increase in noise is much less likely to be noticeable, and is helpful when you can't easily run a replacement cable.

Brian

I do this regularly - balanced XLR-XLR at mic level is fine. I also have an S1000 with TRS only output and TRS-XLR is fine. Just set the input gain on the X32 as necessary.

Yes thinking about it I have 3 versions of S1000 and at least one doesn't have XLR. If my memory serve well I think I'll even say it's unbalanced.

Sadly I haven't used any of them for years which reminds me that I should pull them out and give 'em a whirl, just to check they still work.

I personally use mic level, but it’s purely because it puts my ballpark starting point gain in a sensible place. With line level I’m teetering around needing the pad or not - meaning some channels do, with then some gain needed, and some don’t but they’re a bit close to the bottom of the gain pot. Mid show I don’t want to be having to switch in a pad if somebody’s having a good night and is deciding to go for it! Edited by cedd