25pin connections

aurelias

Like the earlier report, I am having difficulty making my newly purchased Showtech DMX multi-plexer make the connections, using a 25pin D sub plus made by Stage Electrics and supplied by TJ lighting solutions to my older Pulsar dimmer packs.

Wiring diagrams on the Showtech indicate which pin goes to each plug, but what is not clear is are they two single lines or are the connections stepped, viz No 1 top line, No2 lower line.Has anyone experienced this conumdrum?

...but what is not clear is are they two single lines or are the connections stepped, viz No 1 top line, No2 lower line.Has anyone experienced this conumdrum?

25-way D type connectors are numbered as two lines, 1 to 13 on the longer row, 14 to 25 on the shorter.

Just to check - when you ordered you specified that you needed Pulsar on the DIN plug end as Zero88, who also use DIN plugs, have a different wiring convention.

If each dimmer exhibits the same problems, perhaps 2/3 channels working, but on the wrong control channels then Brian is right

This is what you should have for PULSAR check it out with a meter that beeps, steady fingers required or find a very small Helerman sleeve with just a few strands of wire inside and wedge it over the pins one at a time

Dip switches need to be 10 V and +

D25 Looking at the socket from the front(behind the plug)

Wide at the top

Ch1 Pin 1 is top left Ch13 Pin 13 is top right

Ch14 Pin 14 is bottom left 0v common to ALL DIMMERS Pin 25 is bottom right.

8 pin Din looking into socket (behind plug )

With gap down, starting @ 7pm

P

I Location Pulsar Function

n

6 7.00am d4

1 9.00am 15V out not used

4 10.30am d2

2 12.00 Common ground 0V

5 1.30pm d3

3 3.00pm d1

7 5.00pm d5

8 center d6

Repeat 1>6 + common for 7>12. 13>18 19>24 Zero and Strand used a different pin allocation d1 to d 6 on pins 1 to 6 , as there are two conventions your suppler, who should know that there are two possibles, should have asked you "Zero or Pulsar sir" so should swap it over if you have the wrong one. Best not to try to resolder unless you are quite experienced, they are fiddly.

Oh, NOoooo. I'd all but fougotten these problems from my 'nightclub' days. I worked for a small install company in the 90's and they had installed loads of 4 channel packs on 5 pin DIN's (Both 180' and 240') using commercially made cables/extensions then IIRC additional kit tended to use 6pin 240', or 7 or 8 pin 180'.

We had a fair bit of junk which was affectionatly called 'hire stock' which was actually rip out and of course every permutation of connector possible. I gradually made up loads of adapter cables, some of which had 1 socket and several plugs to avoid too many individual leads. Oh yes 3 or 4 cables into one din socket - I remember it well :)

One fault that cropped up a number of times was 4 core individually screened HiFi leads causing problems when pin 2 was connected to to the shell.

It's all gone now but 20+ years ago I could have recited the different formats or made up cables without looking them up.

Editted to overcome the sites silly niggles

And of course there is the problem with 2 different layouts for 7/8 pin DIN's

Sorry there is an error above should read

Start at 07.00 AM and go clockwise

Do I have to adjust this for summer time when the clocks change?

If you stand naked at Stonehenge or (for you) Meridian monument for either of the adjustment hours and chant 6,1,4,2,5,3,7 then a silent 8 then you may rotate your din plug by 15 degrees

Archived