Dance City is one of the National Dance Agencies, responsible for the North East and Cumbria. It primarily presents a programme of contemporary dance and community dance performances. It has a 250-seat theatre called Dance Lab, along with 4 rehearsal or class studios. Two of the studios (1 and 4) share their dimensions with the stage space in the Dance Lab.
Stage and Get-in
Auditorium: Space for 250 on raked bench seating.
- Lower half of rake is retractable.
- Stage Width: 15m Total
- Stage Depth: 10.5m Total
- Performance area width: 10m
- Performance area depth: 10m
- Floor: Harlequin Reversible Black/Grey Dancefloor over Junkers Merbau Flooring on UnoBat 62+ Sprung Flooring.
- Please note: Black soled shoes or any shoes that will leave marks will not be allowed on the grey floor. No structures or substances that may cause damage or marking will be allowed.
- No fixing of any kind is allowed into the wooden floor.
- Grid Height: 7.2m to underside of bars
- Max Scenery Height: 6.75m
- Maximum Scenery Weight: 125kg per point
- Access is via Tallescope model 50524 (Max. Height 9.5m) or 12-Rung Zarges Ladder (Max. Height 7.09m)
- Full backstage crossover corridor with reduced lighting level.
- 4 sets 1.8m wide Black Wool Serge Legs on swivel bars
- 1 Full-width pair Black Wool Serge Backdrop Curtains
- 1 Full-width White Filled Cloth Cyclorama
via double doors (2.8m wide x 2.8m high) on Temple Street to dock at side of
stage. Then through dock doors (2.8m wide x 2.8m high) onto stage left. Vehicles (vans up to 3.5t) may back up
directly to the doors. Larger vehicles may park at 90 degrees to the get-in doors.
Dedicated wardrobe room, close to dressing rooms. With:
- Ironing Board
All on same level as stage and close to stage.
- 2 Large dressing rooms (26m²) with:
- 2 showers
- 4 sinks and one toilet
- dressing table space and mirrors for 6.
- 1 Smaller Dressing room (9m²)with
- 2 sinks
- Dressing table space and mirrors for 4.
- One accessible dressing room (11m²) with
- Warm-Up room (48m²) with
- sprung floor
Phone, Fax and Internet access available to Company Manager in Technical Office (off Control room)
- Mackie VLZ 1604 16-4-2 mixing desk
- 4 x Community STS26B Full Range Loudspeakers
- 2 x Community CPL 55B Sub-Bass Loudspeakers
- 2 x QSC RMX 1450 Amplifier
- 1 x QSC RMX 2450 Amplifier
- 12 Microphone lines from stage
- 4 Audio Tie-Lines
- 1 x CD Player
- 1 x Tascam MD350 MkII MD Player/Recorder
- 1 x Twin Tape Cassette Player/Recorder
- 1 x Alesis Midiverb 4 Effects Processor
- 1 x DBX Driverack PA Digital Signal Processor
Communications headsets are provided in the control room, stage left and
stage right. An additional headset may be used in any of these locations. 3 cue light
outstations are provided at scene dock doors, and doors stage left and stage right. The
cue lights are controlled from the control room.
- 1 x Sanyo XP56 Video Projector, 5000 Lumens, XGA. Video and VGA connections to control room. VGA connections to stage left and stage right. Permanently fixed in position
- 1 x Sanyo XU58 Video Projector, 3000 Lumens, XGA. Portable
- 4 x BenQ MP610 Video Projectors, 2000 Lumens, SVGA. Portable
- 1 x Epson EMP70 Video projector, 700 Lumens, XGA. Portable
- 2 x Canon XM1 PAL Mini DV Video Cameras
- 1 x Panasonic M50 PAL SVHS Video Camera
- 1 x Sony FX1E Mini DV HD Video Camera
- 2 x DVD Player
- 1 x VHS Video Player / Recorder
- 1 x JVC BRDV600 Mini DV Deck
- 1 x XGA Laptop
- Strand 300 Series Lighting Desk w/250 Channels running GeniusPro 2.8.6
- DMX outputs available at high and low level via splitter and DMX patch panel
- 96 Ways 2.5k Strand LD24 dimming outlet on 15a Sockets
- 24 Ways 1k Zero 88 Alphapack dimming outlet on 15a Socket (8 Alphapacks for side lighting booms)
- 24 Strand LD90 non-dims outlet on 15a Sockets
- 6 Strand Act 6 dimming outlet on 15a Sockets (House Lighting)
- 8 Switched independents onstage outlet on 13a Sockets
- 8 Locally switched 13a outlets onstage
- 125a TPNE available in scene dock for touring dimmers
- 6 x Selecon Pacific Zoom 800w 18-34º Profiles
- 6 x Selecon Pacific Zoom 800w 24-44º Profiles
- 14 x Selecon Axial Zoom 600w 18-34º Profiles
- 6 x Selecon Axial Zoom 600w 24-44º Profiles
- 20 x Selecon Compact 1.2k Fresnel w/ barn door
- 9 x Selecon Compact 1.2k PC w/ Chroma-Q 16-frame Scroller*
- 4 x Selecon 4-Cell LUI 1k Cyc Flood
- 4 x Selecon 4-Cell LU 1k Cyc Groundrow Flood
- 24 x Par 64 w/ CP61 or CP62
- 6 x Coda 500w Flood (House Lighting)
- 8 x 2m Wheeled Booms
- The scroller colours are as follows
- R00 Clear
- R36 Medium Pink
- R09 Pale Amber Gold
- R13 Straw Tint
- R70 Nile Blue
- L201 Full CT Blue
- R54 Special Lavender
- R57 Lavender
- R26 Light Red
- R22 Deep Amber
- R313 Light Relief Yellow
- R95 Medium Blue Green
- R78 Trudy Blue
- R382 Congo Blue
- R83 Medium Blue
- R344 Follies Pink
Fire and Safety officers are entitled to inspect the premises at any time without notice.
Any scenery on stage or stored in the scene dock must be constructed entirely from materials accepted by the Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service for use on Open Stages. e.g: Non-combustible or inherently non-flammable material, timber, hardboard or plywood rendered flame resistant by a process of impregnation accepted by the Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service, durably flameproof fabrics, self extinguishing plastics or other materials having flame resistance acceptable to the Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service.
The Theatres’ maintained emergency lighting must remain on at all times.
Any Electrical equipment brought into the Theatre must comply with current regulations issued by the Institute of Electrical Engineers and must have had a recent Portable Appliance Test, where applicable.
The use of Pyrotechnics and special effects, including smoke machines, smoke pots, maroons, strobe lighting, confetti, helium balloons, lasers, dry ice, naked flame, electric heaters or other effects, must be accompanied with a risk assessment and outline of use submitted to the Technical Manager at least 4 weeks prior to the first performance.
Please note that permission may not always be granted for the use of effects.
Matt Frankish Technical Manager Tel: 0191 261 0505 Fax: 0191 230 0486