The world's gone mad!

I have just received a 'memo' from the people at the top - I work in a performing arts college - they have just said that during rehearsals and shows that is is un acceptable for performers to move during a blackout, and that they want lights on stage all the time, on the grounds of health and safety, they have also tagged on that there is going to be, starting in september, a new 'positive thinking initiative' and that crew members should not wear black! because the colour can be seen to be de-moralising etc!

is this bonkers or just me?

Andy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohh, methinks a case of Health and safety gone MAD. Anyway, you should let this through and observe all performers who graduate from the collage and see how they cope in the professional environment. If they don't get used to moving in darkness at collage there are going to be a lot more safety issues in a few years time, when they start walking into side stands in pro venues.

I like wearing black - half my wardrobe is black. Surly making tech's wear any other colour is classified as "crual and unusual punishment" which is banned under the UN convention on Human rights. Say that and see their response!

Genus

<edit for grammer>

Buy a black light. Rig it and leave it on. Get all the techs to buy dayglo shirts in hideous shades... Wear at all times and say 'because it makes me happy' then laugh as a "nearly"blackout turns the stage into a display of 'fireflies' as a scene change takes place.

Sit back and wait for the head of drama to complain...

Failing that, use 50KW of stage blinders at full for your 'working light'. If they complain that it hurts because its so bright say it is the new HandS regs that moving in a blackout is not allowed.

Have fun my little saboteurs :D

insane.

tell them to observe a show done with the rules applied, and then without it.

if they have any sense they will see a far better show without the rules applied.

also, the crew will just take to wearing the darkest shade of blue they can find, or wear blacks with a dark motif instead

insane

Hurriedly checks date: No, not 1st April again!

Tell them to get stuffed & why...

On second thoughts:-

Agree that no unnecessary movement will be made during blackout.

Do your students were blacks during "normal" lectures? Could this be what is offending?

I have just received a 'memo' from the people at the top - I work in a performing arts college - they have just said that during rehearsals and shows that is is un acceptable for performers to move during a blackout, and that they want lights on stage all the time, on the grounds of health and safety, they have also tagged on that there is going to be, starting in september, a new 'positive thinking initiative' and that crew members should not wear black! because the colour can be seen to be de-moralising etc!

is this bonkers or just me?

Andy

Well then, what you do is present them with a risk assessment showing that there is a high risk of injury during the actual performance if it was not rehearsed. Then suggest that instead, things done in blackout will be practiced in Low Light for as long as possible until the performance, just fail to mention that low light is a standard desk lamp gelled the darkest blue you can find with a 40W bulb.

As for Anti-Black, you just remove the REQUIREMENT that they wear black, and instead STRONGLY ENCOURAGE it...

Dear Andy

We have far better things to do with our life than deal with VERY mad people...it's hard enough dealing with the quite mad ones that appear to be the mainstay of our industry.

I would implement their wishes to the letter, making sure that a copy of their instructions makes it way into the information pack/tech spec that is sent out to visiting directors/LDs/industry professionals; sending it to your external examiner would also be good.

If this course of action is followed, I would estimate that these rulings will stay in place until about twenty minutes into the first technical rehearsal of the new term, when the director is faced with a crowd of sullen students in death metal t-shirts carrying bits of wood about in the full blaze of Brechtian white light. (Obviously the effect will be somewhat spoilt if it is a Brecht play.) You should then be able to have an elongated tea break while said director goes and has a toy/pram inteface session with your bosses.

In educational terms, we would describe these people as "complete knobs". We have a whole tower block of them.

Hope this helps, do post a video should this be implemented.

Ken Coker

Lecturer in Doing Silly Things

University of Derby

Surely that stage edge needs a handrail, too, while they're at it. And all the staircases in the building should have a handrail at the front edge of each step!

Then point out the hazards caused by putting on your trousers and stop wearing any.

Meanwhile, ask if they think that decreeing that "the colour Black is demoralising" is in any way offensive to the afro-caribbean students and staff?

I presume the "people at the top" have never worked in the industry, even though they are responsible for training students who (presumably) aspire to work in the business! Methinks their graduates' employment record may become "nil graduates working in the performing arts industry!"

It makes me really mad when drama colleges don't use professional methods & discipline to teach their students - after all that's what they need when they finally go out into the real world!

It just occurred to me that there is a more serious implication here. Forgetting that it is of course, complete rubbish.

Your employer has INSTRUCTED you to do this for health and safety reasons. If you don't do this, and anyone has an accident then you are in deep s*it. Probably disciplinary and possibly dismissable under gross negligence.

The fact it is complete and utter nonsense doesn't really change things. The best thing would be to encourage the HSE to comment. Possibly a letter expressing your worry that operating in the dark is dangerous. Whatever their comment, it can't be worse than what you have.

Depending on the qualfiication, working like this could cause some issues with passing - after all, when is a blackout not a blackout? When it's done at your place? You have a battle here. Best of luck!

It makes me really mad when drama colleges don't use professional methods & discipline to teach their students - after all that's what they need when they finally go out into the real world!

Steady..........I've spent my entire working life being unprofessional and ill-disciplined!!

KC

I would suggest going to the ABTT, they are used to insane HaS regs.

I remember at one point hearing that the HSE had decided that, when using a tallescope, it could not be moved while people are on the platform. Meaning that they had to come down in between each lantern etc..

The ABTT responded and put out their own guidelines which are far more sensible. Namely; outriggers whereever possible, always two people at the bottom who understand theatre geography (i.e. SL etc).

They may come up with sensible - industry relevent - guidelines.

Genus

Guest lightnix
Meanwhile, ask if they think that decreeing that "the colour Black is demoralising" is in any way offensive to the afro-caribbean students and staff?

It might be worth having a word with the CRE as well, to see what their take on it is :)

There has to be some way around the blackout problem. Maybe LED markers on each exit or something?

On the other hand, is it worth it? The people running your college have clearly lost their grip on reality (if they ever had one in the first place) and if I was in your shoes I'd be starting to look for a new job.

This is stupid. I black out is a black out, and anyway on most stages with wings you have light there so if you are on stage you can see to get back to the wings quite safely and how often is it on stage that there is total blackness that you can’t see at all, people have managed to see for years ok on back stage props crews so why should it change now!!!

I will wear what I want as long as it is suitable and conforms to the guidelines in my contract of employment and for backstage I would haven’t have thought one of the guidelines in our industry would to not wear black maybe something like should appear “reasonable smart†or in clothes fit for the job and maintain professionalism.

I know I am only a student but my advice would be show your mangers or the person in charge of health and safety and risk assessment the industry guidelines and risk assessments for back stage, black outs ect… and tell them is it is good enough for industry then it should be good enough for you as you are training people to go into this industry and by this stage in their academic career they shouldn’t need cotton balls to keep them safe (well there are prats out there), as long as you explain the dangers and do some form of risk assessment. Health and safety of course in my opinion has great value as it protects people but I think there as such as thing over protection stemming from our compensation culture.

Sarcastic// Who’s up 4 foot railings along the front of the stage as people could fall off and even worse fall into the pit!!! //Sarcastic :)

Archived