Frog2 Versus Pearl 2004

SceneMaster

Which is more Featured Frog2 or Pearl2004?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more Featured Frog2 or Pearl2004?

• Pearl 2004
    • Frog2

Ok I may be opening a huge can of worms here but which has more features/functions the Frog2 or the Pearl 2004? I don’t mean in terms or channels or subs… I mean in terms for software ect… A pearl always has seem to me to be a desk with everything only beaten by its bigger versions (as in the diamond, ok not the same desk but you know what I mean) and the GrandMA but for that size of desk as in 2048 channels which one carries more features? I know that they are probably for different markets and the pearl cue stack isn't great... discuss...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pearl beaten by nothing but GrandMA and the bigger Avos? Surely you jest!

For the same money, perhaps you could construct that argument. But overall, come on!

Meanwhile, pedantry aside, I think the Frog 2 is too new to judge right now. I'll get back to you when I've actually run at least one show off one!

It's like asking which executive saloon has the most features, BMW 5-series or Audi A6. It's horses for courses - some people like the Pearl, some people will like the Frog 2. I don't think you can really make any sort of like-for-like feature comparison between the two of them.

And Bryson's right, the Frog 2 is just too new to judge alongside an older desk like the Pearl - it's too much of an unknown at the moment. (Although I suspect that anyone who's programmed a Hog 2 will find it somewhat familiar ... :huh:)

Reserving judgement for the time being too. Not had a play on the new Frog, but I have read the specs, and Zero88 seem to have answered a lot of issues as discussed on another thread on this forum. However I still quite like the Pearl desks for busking, for example RollaCue, which I think is basically handled via sub pages on the Frog 2. Similar feature, but fiddlier busking a live show you've never seen... Like I said, I need to have a play on the Frog 2 at some point soon.

Pearl beaten by nothing but GrandMA and the bigger Avos?  Surely you jest! 

For the same money, perhaps you could construct that argument.  But overall, come on!

Meanwhile, pedantry aside, I think the Frog 2 is too new to judge right now.  I'll get back to you when I've actually run at least one show off one!

Sorry… I know they are not the same level of desk for the money… so just ignore those comments… what I was trying to say is that for it size the only thing that could beat would be the next desk range up (obviously otherwise it wouldn’t be the next desk range up) this was my view when I first started lighting, ok it was the pearl 2000 then about 4 years ago but you get my point I use to idealise the pearls and for some reason never liked the frogs even though many people say they are great… now though I am not so sure… I know zero88 are great though with their other products like the dimming ranges (betapacks) ect.

It just if I was put in a room with a Pearl2004 and a Frog2 and told to choose one without knowing anything about them I would pick the Pearl it just looks as if it does a lot more but am I wrong considering a pearl is around 6k and a Frog2 is around 8k so surely the Frog2 should do a lot more?

I know that there are different operating feels and people prefer the different desk types but this is not what I am asking I am talking just on a purely feature basis.

This is probably to early in the Frog2s release to be asking this but it has been really bugging me.

:huh:

This is probably to early in the Frog2s release to be asking this but it has been really bugging me.

You're right, it's too early. Don't let it bug you - instead of all this guesswork and speculation, why don't you get yourself a demo on the Frog 2 and find out for yourself? I spent a bit of time on the Z88 stand at the AC Noth tradeshow, talking to some odd bloke in a rather startling canary-yellow polo shirt and discovering some of the things that the Frog 2 can do (or will be able to do at some point in the near future!). For the money (£7k, incidentally, not £8k), the feature set seems rather good. But, unlike the Pearl, I've not spent any large amount of time working with the desk to get to know it properly, or used it in a battle situation, so I'll be reserving judgement on it until I do. You should, too.

My main point on this topic is a simple one. For years people have been specing a pearl 200/2004, and that still continues. would I, at this point buy either the pearl 2004 or frog 2? simple. Pearl 2004. people know how to use them. there is no point in me buying a desk if it aint going to be making money! and I dont believe the frog 2 will take over the pearl 200/2004's for that reason and that reason alone.

Plus I like loads of faders on my desks!!!!

And by the way - avolites provide a software update for the pearl 2000 (v2 motherboard) that will make your pearl 200 into a 2004.

the new frog is using the same user interface and syntax as the hog making it very powerful, it has a lot of potential and having spent time today plaing with it and talking to the reps about exactly where its going and whats next for it I would say while its onyl a baby dedk its going to go far, its only in a very early stage of software at the moment but there are 2 or 3 more releases already underway and these will add more to what already is a very powerful desk.

this desk is one to watch, while I have not used one in show conditions yet I look foward to doing so soon adn intend to on my next show so will let you know what its like then.

one very inportant thing to remember is you can do everything you can with a hog 2 on the new frog for less than half the money a second hand hog 2 will cost. just a thouight...

Right, first off, just to make this clear, I work part time for Zero88 and have been heavily involved with the development of the Frog2 from the outset, so although my opinion below is posted from an end users perspective, I can't claim to be totally unbiased.

What I say below is meant from an end users perspective, and is based on my use of the Frog2 on a recent production.

The Frog2 is already an incredibly powerful console with several distinct differences from a Pearl. Rather than a fader representing a scene or a chase, on the Frog2, each of them is a playback, meaning that you can have multiple cues running sequentially, with macros, effects (shapes, on the pearl) and individual fade and delay times on every parameter of a fixture. This means that with a little careful planning you can create complicated cue sequences quickly, and from a single trigger.

The Frog2 provides some features which the Pearl just doesn't have - macros being the primary one at the moment.

Having said that, the desk does have its flaws. Its a new desk, and some of the functionality which is intended for the desk is 'to be implemented'. Having said that, something which Zero88 pride themselves on is their rapid development schedule and release 3 of the Frog2 o/s is expected by PLASA.

I used the Frog2 'in anger' on a production a couple of weeks ago and it worked well. Yes, there were bugs at that time, but those have been solved since that time, and software continues to evolve behind the scenes.

As I've said above, the above is my opinion only and is said as a end user, not an employee of Zero88.

We at lightfactor are distributing the desk and while I only speak for my own views it is not an opposition for the hog but is a good alternative for the slightly lower end of the market where the money is not available. it is a very good price and is much more buskable than the hog. in all honesty give me a hog anyday but if this is all that I can get thats like one I will be happy.

Archived