Chauvet Buy Chamsys

AndyJones

I read it like that, they want better US penetration.

I got an email last week on the Magicq users hire site from a US person ranting because all the names on the list are UK and Europe, with hardly a US presence. I think he thought he was ranting at chamsys, but my inability to provide him a list of American kit holders wasn't appreciated.

Having a proper distribution network makes sense for them in terms of worldwide sales.

Chauvet are a rapidly growing company with a fairly large UK base already, and have done well at moving from DJ level kit to quality gear suitable for professional event work; Chamsys have a good user base but have probably achieved most of what they can market penetration wise as a small company. I can see this working well for everyone.

Exactly - they need more marketing muscle, more money for R&D and also some fresh eyes to look at them and their approach and image. The ChamSys user base is quite loyal and those that know the system are all well aware of its capabilities. However the company was not in a position to get any further with its product line.

It will make or break them as a serious console manufacturer. They could have carried on for ever making little desks and selling a few MQ500 to real enthusiasts, but it needs a way to get a whole new market share. And keep it.

I remember when Flying Pig Systems was just a "Fred In A Shed" outfit and look what happened to them. That was largely the result of investment from outside.

And on that subject I have only just found out that ETC have just bought HES so wonder what will happen there. Now ETC have four different lines of console. Confusing.

Yeah. There seems to be a lot of arm-waving and teeth-gnashing in places - the Chamsys programmers group on Facebook for example - but as long as Chamsys retain their autonomy and are allowed to carry on doing what they do, in the splendid way in which they do it, with the added weight of the Chauvet marketing machine behind them, I think it's probably going to turn out to be a good thing for all concerned.

Support will be the very difficult thing for them. At the moment they have a relatively small customer base and their support is great because when you call with a problem you speak directly to the software authors who know it inside out. This will be much harder to do (while keeping the new development going) if Chauvet bring them to a bigger customer base.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

While touring the UK, Europe, and Scandinavia.the last few years, most of the new installed and rental desks, were either Chamsys or MA. Only a couple of AVO, and not a single HOG. And that was before he MQ500 hit the market. I don't see Chamsys lagging behind in features, and their new owners have the resources to enable even greater market share.

http://stage-directi...es-chamsys.html

I wonder what this means for the future of Chamsys?!

Not bad desks, however Hog and Avo caught up and overtook them. Not sure why Chamsys would want them.

Seems pretty obvious really; whilst Chamsys produce solid control options they are a still a small independent company, I should imagine it's a tough game for a small manufacturer.

For Chauvet looking to add a decent control solution to their portfolio there can't be many of the other top tier brands that would be so affordable.

On top of that I'm sure it won't be long before we see some of Chauvet's broader manufacturing experience influencing new products from Chamsys.

It will be interesting to see what the first fruits of their collaboration brings.

As far as I am aware, non of the London development or support employees of Flying Pigs subsequently worked for Chamsys after the Northfield Rd office closed in 2005.

George McDuff (Chamsys) did work in the same building (which also housed 'legendary' hire company, The Spot Co, before PRG bought it), and developed parts of the LSD Icon console (and many other interesting products) at around the same time that the Wholehog 1 was in developement in the early nineties. This is the main connection between the two companies.

This building was converted into posh flats about 5 years ago.

Martin (ex FPS developer)

There are connections, yes - but to refer to them as 'left-overs' is doing them a massive disservice! There's nothing left-over about Chamsys.

I would never say that Chamsys was an inferior product, in fact from what I see (and hear) is that it is vastly superior to Hog, and others say it is as good as MA which I have never used, it is clearly better than any of the ETC offerings as far as I can see, all in all a good all rounder with no specific function in mind , but excells in all areas.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived