Radio beltpack for ATM350

Simon Lewis

Does any one know the wiring pinout for the TAF3 connector on an Audio Technica ATM350?

I have a violin player who is happy with the Audio Technica ATM350 'violin mic' he bought last year. However, he'd now like to move to wireless for greater freedom of movement... However, Audio Technica's wireless mics and packs use 4 pole HRS...

The ATM350 terminates in a TA3F (to fit the AT8542 power module TA3F in, XLR out, phantom power to bias voltage). I'd like to find a workable radio system that will take the TA3F connector directly and allow him to run wired or wireless without additional adaptors or changing connectors.

Looking around, the AKG PT45 radio beltpack seems to be suitable for the AT350's TA3F connector, but I've yet to find a wiring diagram for the AT's TA3F... has anyone got this before I think about buying the AKG radio pack?

The AKG beltpack is wired:

Audio input pinout:Pin 1: shieldPin 2: audioPin 3: supply voltageA positive supply voltage of 4.5 volts for condenser microphones is available on pin 3

The AKG pin-out is the logical one (Pin 1 = Gnd, Pin 2 = Audio, Pin 3 = something else), so I would be surprised if the AT 8542 didn't follow the same convention, but it might be worth a call to AT's service dept for confirmation. If you can open up the TA3F the red wire should be bias volts & the yellow wire should be audio (assuming Shure's "how to connect your AT mic to a Shure beltpack" is correct).

The AKG pin-out is the logical one (Pin 1 = Gnd, Pin 2 = Audio, Pin 3 = something else), so I would be surprised if the AT 8542 didn't follow the same convention, but it might be worth a call to AT's service dept for confirmation. If you can open up the TA3F the red wire should be bias volts & the yellow wire should be audio (assuming Shure's "how to connect your AT mic to a Shure beltpack" is correct).

That's what I'm hoping... but wanted the confirmation before potentially damaging the poor violinist's mic!

Update....

Audio Technica have helpfully confirmed the pinout for the ATM350:

Pin1: Ground

Pin2: Audio

Pin3: Bias voltage

However, thebias voltage requirement for the ATM350 is +5V, which seems to rule out most of the AKG radio mic beltpacks, since although they are wired correctly, they provide only 4V bias. The PT4500 offers ~6V but seems to swap pins 2 and 3 on the connector? There are also potential issues with the output level of the AT mic.

Seems like I might have to either find a belt pack that can do +5V bias and make a cable adaptor or look for a plug on radio transmitter that can provide phantom power.... I know the Sennheiser SKP300 would probably work, but it's a tad pricey...

I would be surprised if the AT wouldn't work on +4V - a lot of lav mics are quoted as 1.5V - 4.5V, & the el-cheapo ones all work on a 1.5V (or even 1.2V) battery.

They have variations in powering and output level specs even within the same mic designation... the radio mic version (cw) is different from the wired version and the latter has been superseded by a 350a version with slightly different specs. However tech support were quite specific about the ATM350 needing 5V...

If you spoke to an engineer who said "no, it definitely won't work on 4V", then that's your answer. If the person you spoke to merely repeated the printed spec (my general experience when enquiring about equipment manufactured elsewhere), then the jury's still out. You could take the PSU apart & check the volts on the red wire, but it's probably got a 5V regulator (they are made in zillions, so by far the cheapest), so that wouldn't help.

My gut feeling is that 4V would be fine (my 9V trannies work down to 6V), but in your position I would probably be equally cautious :(.

If you spoke to an engineer who said "no, it definitely won't work on 4V", then that's your answer. If the person you spoke to merely repeated the printed spec (my general experience when enquiring about equipment manufactured elsewhere), then the jury's still out. You could take the PSU apart & check the volts on the red wire, but it's probably got a 5V regulator (they are made in zillions, so by far the cheapest), so that wouldn't help.

My gut feeling is that 4V would be fine (my 9V trannies work down to 6V), but in your position I would probably be equally cautious :(.

I'd agree - but the AT tech guys were fairly specific about this (even explaining the differences between the three variants they make). There is also the issue that I do not know how tight the "4V" spec is from AKG, but I do not want to purchase a radio system from them and find that it does not power the AT mic correctly....

Maybe you could make a TAF3 to HRS converter, so he can go either wired or wireless, or look for a plug-in transmitter. The Evolution ones have 48V phantom - I wouldn't know about others. I've just noticed your OP said AKG were 4.5V, not 4V - tempting!!

Archived