LED Pixel Strip controller with DMX controlled presets

noiseman

Hi all

I've spent quite some time looking on google for what on the face of it would appear to be a simple requirement but have no found anything yet.

This is for a "simple" project for a band to make a few single LED strips on poles (mic stands) and be able to have an element of control - turn on / off, change patterns etc using a very basic controller that only has 196 DMX channels. The same controller is also being used to control the existing lighting (a few LED bars and a couple of LED floor cans).

What I'm looking for is a Pixel LED strip (eg.8806) controller that has preset patterns that can be selected via DMX.

I've found loads controllers that can convert DMX but they seems to rely on pixel mapping to generate complex patterns and use alot of DMX channels and I don't really want to get into that.

I've also found controllers that have all the patterns I could wish for but don't appear to have external control other than RF or IR hand held remotes.

Am I being daft or does something like this exist?

Hi, Abstract Digital have something which does this.

Their pixel tape is WS2801 but it can control LPD8806 pixels as well with a different version of firmware.

Uses 24 DMX channels in macro pattern mode or you can pixel map it down to individual pixels.

see http://www.abstract....k/digital-tape/

The Prodigy had it out on their last tour on a load of umbrella shaped thingys.

Bias alert, I designed it for them but I don't make any money from them selling it. I don't know how much it costs.

There's Light Initiative's Intelliflex system too which has a similar macro pattern mode.

RC4 also have a wireless controller that does this - you program in the chases "off line" then run the effects as "macroes" via DMX commands using only a relatively few channels. it was a Plasa award winner this year.

See here

Of course you need a wireless transmitter as well, which might be added complexity you don't want, but it might be food for thought.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

I'll investigate further but have a suspicion they may be a little on the pricey side. A quick google puts one of those options at circa £400 for just the controller :o

I've done a little more research and have seen a few folk doing something in Arduino which although more fiddly could be an option and even a nice winter evening project!

With only 196 channels, your controller is the limiting factor right now. If I were you I'd get one of the many pieces of lighting software (my choice would be MagicQ), and use an Artnet/sAcn to WS2812 controller, and some WS2812B LED tape. I know you've said that you don't want to faff around with pixel mapping, but you'd only need to program a few different 'looks' once. That would be what I'd do.

With only 196 channels, your controller is the limiting factor right now. If I were you I'd get one of the many pieces of lighting software (my choice would be MagicQ), and use an Artnet/sAcn to WS2812 controller, and some WS2812B LED tape. I know you've said that you don't want to faff around with pixel mapping, but you'd only need to program a few different 'looks' once. That would be what I'd do.

Thanks for the idea but that adds the complexity of having to add a laptop into the mix. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I've found this

so I think I'll investigate this route along with the others previously suggested.

Update:

I've found this and have ordered one to try out:My link - Looks like this could do the trick, it has direct DMX connection (albeit though RJ45) to control preset and speed. It also has the option for off-line editing should I find the presets not to my liking.

I'll report back on how it goes :D

• 2 months later...

Update on this:

Well, I received the controller from my post above and it does indeed work!

You create your own series of patterns in the supplied software (LightX). Drop it onto the SD card and with 5 channels of DMX you can access the patterns, change speed and dim RGB.

It's not particularly sophisticated and did take a while trying to decipher the Chinese "instructions" but after I finally worked it out it suits my application just fine.

Only real issue I had was the controller DMX polarity was reversed (common on many far-eastern devices so I found out).

Total cost - £45 for controller, 200w psu and 5 metres of 8212B pixel strip.

:D

Archived