Radio Mics - Ch 69 is back!

paulears

Got a notification from OFCOM today.

The interesting bit is this:

The Decision instructs Member States to designate and make available, on a non-interference and non-protection basis, the 823 to 832 MHz and 1785 to 1805 MHz bands for wireless audio PMSE equipment, subject to the technical conditions set out in the Annex to the Decision.

These two bands are being added to the current license.

Handy for those who kept a bit of the old kit.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got that email , my old kit goes down to 829Mhz, so I get a whole 3Mhz of space :)

Some people just don't know how lucky they are. All my IEM's go down to 830Mhz, I only got 2Mhz!

Cheers,

Peter

I picked up some cheap LD Systems MEI 1000 G2 IEMs a month or so ago. Noticed on the packaging it said License Free 823-832 and 863-865 MHz. I just assumed the former was useable else where in the world. There was me thinking I would have to be careful with only 4 usable channels. But seems we all missed the note and myself even in the obvious until the OFCOM email today. Anyway good news as I do fear channel 70 is only going to become more populated.

G2 range E seems to have two workable frequencies in 830-832 - although perhaps someone can squeeze another two out if it's only that 2MHz slice in use?

G3 range E looks far better... We should be able to use 823 to 832 and the 4 or 5 frequencies in channel 70. Perhaps Sennheiser will now keep selling this frequency range, as we're back to a reasonable number?

XS range E gets four frequencies from channel 70 and eight from 823-832.

The 1.8GHz band gets slightly extended 1785-1800 now becomes 1785-1805MHz... I wonder if Sennheiser's existing units can be flashed to rake advantage of this extra spectrum?

823-832 is legal in Germany, and there are online firms suggesting it was ok in the UK. The one I complained to and who subsequently changed every instance of 823-832 comments on their website will be really happy now!

I'm feeling very happy, I have just re-programmed my Trantec S5.5 D3s to 4 intermod free channels between 830 and 832 Mhz, so now have 20 workable Uhf channels using 12 in channel 38, 4 in channel 65/66 and 4 in Channel 70. Add another 4 VHF and that is a very useful 24 channels. I'm just waiting for Arqiva to send the paperwork, wondering if they will be inundated or not?

Brian

I think I'll probably do similar to you Brian, though I probably won't do it to gain more channels - simply to move my 4 channel 70 systems in to somewhere a little safer. I'm already running 6 channels of Line6 2.4GHz and could add up to another 6 channels of that if necessary, so channel count isn't my biggest concern, but moving away from the local disco or pilates class is very very tempting!

Don't suppose you fancy sharing your 4 frequencies for Trantec do you?

Don't suppose you fancy sharing your 4 frequencies for Trantec do you?

Certainly, Used with the standard 12 Trantec block 7 frequencies plus 863.100, 863.750, 864.225 and 864.575. the channel 65/66 frequencies are 830.025, 830.425, 830.875 and 831.400. Other combinations may work but I was too lazy to check. I tried to find a 5th frequency but that didn't work nicely. Still I am very pleased to move forward. A happy evening retuning 2 of my front end brickwall filters to the new allocaton and making a decent band pass duplexer.

Brian

... Noticed on the packaging it said License Free 823-832 and 863-865 MHz. I just assumed the former was useable else where in the world.

Worth noting that the new frequency allocations will NOT be license free in the UK. Both blocks are being added to the UK Shared Radio Mic license.

Steve

I picked up some cheap LD Systems MEI 1000 G2 IEMs a month or so ago. Noticed on the packaging it said License Free 823-832 and 863-865 MHz.

The 823-832 band is described by Sennheiser as:

ISM-band licence-free in Europe; Duplex gap licence-free in Germanyusable in DK 823 – 831 MHz. Frequencies also usable in other European and Asian countries, but may require licencePlease contact your local authorities

Of course, up until this week's announcement that band was definitely not allowed in the UK. Interesting that although it's licence free in Europe we have to pay for it....

I've only got it as an email - there is a bit on the site but you have to log in, which if you don't have a license, you can't do.

So I'm feeling kind of pleased for once, they paid me compensation for my old kit that exceeded their ebay value, plus I bought back extra channel 69 kit, which I got very cheaply, and now I can use it on my current license again - well, at least a few channels, making it a very good investment.

Archived