Smelly boots - boric acid

Ashley R

Hi BR

I have read on here before about peoples gripes about boots that stink, or are breeding grounds for nasty things that attack your feet, and the suggestion a few times has come up for putting powdered boric acid in your boots.

well I did it, and it works brilliantly, no more problems with my feet at all! But after suggesting it to someone else, they did some googling, and came back with a shedload of results saying eating it, or having prolonged skin contact may be harmful, and is toxic etc.

just wondering if anyone here knew anything more about this? Is it going to make my feet drop off in a decade, or should I stop worrying?

My (dancer) daughters have used a Borax solution foot soak to cure smelly (dancers) feet in the last couple of years, and yes indeed it does work - and so far their feet have remained firmly where they should be... :)

I'm always a bit wary of what you turn up with Google - if it swings one way or the other I usually try to check for a balanced viewpoint from a reputable source.

If in doubt, chat to your own GP.

I certainly wouldn't recommend eating it, but it is apparently less toxic than table salt. Likewise, while it's OK to dust it in your boots from time to time, I wouldn't suggest pouring it in your boots every day.

On the other hand I used Mycil foot powder in my footwear for a very long time (totally ineffective money spinner for the pharmaceutical industry) and think that it was potentially more harmful to my feet than an occasional dusting of boric acid powder. In fact, I wish I'd discovered boric acid much sooner because it could have prevented lots of grief with my feet and industrial footwear in the past.

Someone once gave me a free sample of Scholl shoe spray and this also works, gets right into the nooks and crannies and leaves your feet smelling lovely (like beauty soap). You spray it and leave overnight and next day, bingo

Someone once gave me a free sample of Scholl shoe spray and this also works, gets right into the nooks and crannies and leaves your feet smelling lovely (like beauty soap). You spray it and leave overnight and next day, bingo

+1 for Scholl. My issue is athletes foot and since I've been using the powder, more recently the spray, I haven't suffered and my shoes stay reasonably fresh. I also try not to wear the same footwear for more than 24 hours.

I wouldn't mind betting that boric acid is an ingredient in the commercial products!

Kiwi do a fresh feet spray which is in an aerosol with a big push-in base to release... so you just stick it in your boots, press it down and spray for a few seconds every night when you take them off

Worked for me fine

The primary feature of boric acid is that it is a simple and natural substance which has extraordinary anti-fungal properties.

It's the only thing that has worked properly for me. And I tried LOTS of different chemical products from the usual big-name companies.

It's very cheap on ebay. Less than 2 quid for 100g inclusive of shipping. That will last a very long time, because only an occasional sprinkle is needed.

Random ebay seller of boric acid.

Hi BR

... and came back with a shedload of results saying eating it, or having prolonged skin contact may be harmful, and is toxic etc.

just wondering if anyone here knew anything more about this? Is it going to make my feet drop off in a decade, or should I stop worrying?

A quick check of my workplace chemical database tells me that boric acid is classified in Australia as a hazardous substance, but not a dangerous good (ie it may impact on your health, but it won't explode, catch fire or otherwise violently and immediately damage you). The principle concerns are skin irritation (dermatitis) and some evidence that it may impair fertility or cause harm to the unborn child if ingested over a long period of time (ie the effect is chronic). However, there are no 8-hour Occupational Exposure Limits.

I guess this means that the occassional dusting of the boots is OK, just don't eat or breath large quantities and stop using it if you notice any skin irritation. Pregnant women should probably avoid exposure to the substance, just to be on the safe side.

Ian

I'll just point out that it is REALLY bad for pets if they eat it. Mine is kept in a locked container but it is the only thing that has worked consistently and cheaply on my shoes. As previous advice said, small quantities (about 2 teaspoons worth) every month or so is all that is needed, that is practically homeopathic in terms of skin contact transfer.

It's very cheap on ebay. Less than 2 quid for 100g inclusive of shipping. That will last a very long time, because only an occasional sprinkle is needed.

Indeed. Following Clive's previous recommendation I thought I'd buy 1kg for about £10. I think it will probably last me the rest of my life, so little is actually required.

Thank you Clive - it is probably the best piece of advice I've ever taken from the interweb, and has had literally life changing results!

I thought I'd buy 1kg for about £10. I think it will probably last me the rest of my life, so little is actually required.

You can always mix Borax and Boric Acid to make some home-brewed fire retardant solution... :)

Potassium Permanganate is an alternative. It does make your feet brown though. After a particular trainer caused foot problems as a teenager, I soaked my feet in KMnO4 a few times and have never had any problems since; not even athletes foot. Obviously this doesn't help already 'infected' boots but it does stop new ones getting bad.

The trick is to not let your footwear get that far in the first place. You sweat up to a litre from your feet everyday so regularly changing your socks during a long shift on your feet is the easiest and best way to keep everything in check. If you don't have the facility to swill your feet during a sock change then babywipes are your friend.

Go for the feet first and your boots will stay nice and fresh.

I'll hijack the thread here a little and ask what's the best way to use boric acid powder?

I bought a kilo on eBay and use a small measuring scoop (baby milk) to sprinkle 1 measure between both boots. Is that too much (for a once a month treatment) and then do you then leave it in there permanently or do you shake out the excess the next morning?

I'd appreciate some advice on the best way to proceed.

Cheers

personally I was shoving about a table spoon in each boot, first when I bought them, and then about a few weeks later, after that I am yet to need to re-do them.

I just shook it all around inside, and left it in there.

1kg, your going ot have to find some creative uses for all that!

Archived