Prop

Giging

Hi all, totally new to this site...but I'm at my wits end. Yes the dreaded Hairspray can for the finale scene is what I'm looking for. The local school has asked me to direct their summer show of Hairspray and this is the only piece of prop/set that we are at a total loss with. The poor caretakers have tried everything and it's just not working. We are are located in the Mansfield Area, North Nottinghamshire. Can anyone help please. x

Are you after one to rent, buy or just some advice on how to construct it?

if you are hiring one, there are a few around, depending on how far you are willing to travel. I had to do this show last year and used these lovely people:

spotlight

Hi all, totally new to this site...but I'm at my wits end. Yes the dreaded Hairspray can for the finale scene is what I'm looking for. The local school has asked me to direct their summer show of Hairspray and this is the only piece of prop/set that we are at a total loss with. The poor caretakers have tried everything and it's just not working. We are are located in the Mansfield Area, North Nottinghamshire. Can anyone help please. x

We have all the props for Hairspray .for hire. See our web site lxprofessional.co.uk We are based in Suffolk

Hi We have all the props for Hairspray for hire. See our web site lxprofessional.co.uk

All the above! Thanks. x

Constructing a can would be easy- think a 36mm plywood top, bottom and middle disc, linked by lengths of 2x1 (inset into the edges of the discs to maintain the curve). Add a suitable skin (fabric/canvas if you want to be easy, 3mm MDF/ flexiply if you have a airline staple gun, wood glue and some ratchet straps!), and paint as required.

Ian

All the above! Thanks. x

Constructing a can would be easy- think a 36mm plywood top, bottom and middle disc, linked by lengths of 2x1 (inset into the edges of the discs to maintain the curve). Add a suitable skin (fabric/canvas if you want to be easy, 3mm MDF/ flexiply if you have a airline staple gun, wood glue and some ratchet straps!), and paint as required.

Ian

Except that the whole point of having a huge hairspray can in the show 'Hairspray' is that it is hollow and a cast member steps out from inside the can in a big 'reveal' moment. Which complicates the build somewhat.

Ian

Except that the whole point of having a huge hairspray can in the show 'Hairspray' is that it is hollow and a cast member steps out from inside the can in a big 'reveal' moment. Which complicates the build somewhat.

How do they step out? Does it hinge open, or does the lid come off?

normally the whole front half of the can is hinged to open like a door.

I see! In that case, my instructions still stand, but make it as two halves- you could probably get away without the centre disc! (unless you have a magician to hand and fancy doing some sort of 'sawing a person in half' trick! :s)

Edited to add:

Just remembered, I designed something similar a few years ago! (A tree with a secret door to Peter Pan's house!) As I needed a bark-type effect, I used vac-form for the skin, but for a hairspray can, flexi-ply would work just as well.

http://www.irwdesign.com/br/treedoorsm.jpg

http://www.irwdesign.com/br/treedoor2sm.jpg

Archived