1980s TV Studio Cameras

JohnWilkie

Hi

I'm doing a show at the Traverse Theatre in Edinburgh and on the hunt for 2x 1980s style TV Studio Camera's and pedestals. Our Designer has expressed a preference for the Ikegami HK 323 variety, they don't have to work.

Here's a reference. To be honest, we are having real trouble finding anything suitable, so anything close will do. Small budget for props, but can arrange pick ups etc... Please contact me either on or off forum... sm@traverse.co.uk 01316597176 Thanks in advance. John Wilkie

Can't help with a source but are you aware just how heavy the pedestals are? On a timber stage deck there is every chance the wheels will sink in if they are left in one spot for any period of time.

Plus, they do need to be treated with extreme care as they are gas pressurised and will do a lot of damage if released without a load on top.

Make something by sticking some boxes together and approximating the pedestal - it'll cost you less than you will spend just on the delivery of 2 of these beasts; they're packed full of ballast and deliberately over-heavy so that they give the least wobbly tv picture. The pedestals are designed for running on tv studio floors; any more than a couple of mm variation in your stage floor and you'll have problems with them jamming - in short using the real thing is just going to be an absolute nightmare.

The ped weighs a ton. the head from that era not a lot lighter as lightweight studio cameras had not really appeared. Since the 90s you can get away with using any eng broken camera. I have one but its not broken! Obviously your director has googled 1980 studio camera. The ikegami named was an expensive bit of kit and when scrapped probably was just that so went in the figuative skip. Maybe the lens went elsewhere. I have worked in news for almost 25 years. The BBC runs kit into the ground and no one in their right mind unless they have a barn would have these lying around broken as postential props! Sorry to rain on your parade :)

It might be worth googling museums etc and broadcast cameras. At the end of the day you want the outside bits without all the weight!

just what you wanted here!

Have a look at the Link 130 - which are empty shells, and on lightweight (well, by comparison on Vintens) pads.

Brings back my Wood Norton days :)

Thanks everyone.

I was aware of the pedestal weight (350k) and gas pressure issues, but thank you for confirming. I have already been in contact with Golden Age Television Recreations (as per the kindly supplied link above) and am in negotiations with them at the moment. In case that doesn't work out I still need to amass more options, hence my post on here. Obviously, a local source would be ideal for both financial and time reasons. Ceecrb1: you wouldn't happen to have the contact details for your private collector?

Cheers

John

I was aware of the pedestal weight (350k) and gas pressure issues...

And watch out for what ImagineerTom said. They are designed to skim the surface of a studio floor with only a couple of mm clearance so that they push any cables out of the way and don't crush peoples toes. Any lumps and bumps, especially if you have a lip going on/off stage, and you might ground them.

Ha ha just found a pic on that site of the old Tyne Tees TV unit 3 that I used to work on the in the early 80's.

You've got me thinking now - one of the photos shows a southern OB unit at what looks like a race meeting, and I'm trying to remember which TV company did CH4 racing in the 90s when I was involved.

That southern and TTTV truck went out of service in the 80's but in the 90's a pool of YTV, TTTV and Thames trucks did the CH4 racing under the Pro Vision banner!

I have a feeling the one I worked in (briefly) was a YTV one, even though most of our contacts were at Thames in Teddington.

I was working in that truck setting up a computer system at Kempton Park the day Ayrton Senna was killed. I'll never forget that. A bit like people remember where they were when Kennedy was shot.

Archived