Yamaha dsr112 vs Rcf Hd12-a?

Jonkan

Hi!

Im trying to decide what speaker to get to use for monitoring sampled and synthesized drumsounds layered over my acoustic drumkit using triggers and pads. The HD12-a is alot lighter, but the dsr112 seems to be able to go louder from specs atleast. Being electronic sounds you can be sure that theres gonna be alot of punch and bass to them.

2" voicecoil is of little concern as I wont be using these for foh anytime soon. Punch, sound quality and lowend response however is of importance. These might go on tour, so I guess lower weight could be a factor. If the RCFs can play almost as loud and punchy as the slightly more expensive and heavier dsr112, im thinking the lower weight is a good thing. I dont know, it seems kind of like the yamaha boxes are aimed to a more professional audience, but ive heard rcf speakers many times, we use 322ai for foh on our smaller outdoor stage with 310ai as monitors, and those sound pretty darn good IMO for a plastic box.

Specwise the rcf hd12-a seem to go a bit lower, but im not sure if I would notice a difference or not.

Anyone that has good advice?

Thanks!

/Jonas

Hi jonkan

Of all the RCFs I tested the HD12A and the 722s go the loudest but the HD12As could take a lot more input gain than the 722. I liked the sound of the 722 best at low volume and the 12A best at mid and high volume.

Having done a massive group test there is no question that the DSR does go louder than any other powered cab Ive ever heard. Its just deafening and keeps on getting louder.

Its big, heavy by the standards of the group and very well made. Like the RCRF it has a pretty useless rear panel.

My selection was based on FOH use and I ended up buying the RCF HD12A which to my mind sounded sweeter and more hifi like. The Yamaha DXR12 was also extremely good with superb sound quality at all volume levels but couldnt go nearly as loud as the HD12A, let alone the DSR.

Buy the HD12A and you'll be very happy. I ended up testing the 422, 712, 722, HD12A, Yamaha DXR and the DSR, the QSC K10 and K12.

Thanks! How about low end response? Im probably not going to use these with a sub anytime soon, so punchy lowend is important to me. The -3dB point on the hd12-a is atleast on paper lower than the Yamaha box, but you having heard both of them, what do you think? Also, Is the yamaha cab much bigger than the rcf, or just heavier?

Cheers,

/J

Hi jonkan

Of all the RCFs I tested the HD12A and the 722s go the loudest but the HD12As could take a lot more input gain than the 722. I liked the sound of the 722 best at low volume and the 12A best at mid and high volume.

Having done a massive group test there is no question that the DSR does go louder than any other powered cab Ive ever heard. Its just deafening and keeps on getting louder.

Its big, heavy by the standards of the group and very well made. Like the RCRF it has a pretty useless rear panel.

My selection was based on FOH use and I ended up buying the RCF HD12A which to my mind sounded sweeter and more hifi like. The Yamaha DXR12 was also extremely good with superb sound quality at all volume levels but couldnt go nearly as loud as the HD12A, let alone the DSR.

Buy the HD12A and you'll be very happy. I ended up testing the 422, 712, 722, HD12A, Yamaha DXR and the DSR, the QSC K10 and K12.

hey there....

see we're back discussing super powerful active 2 way cabs again, so just thought I would add that there are limits to what can be achieved with a 2 way design in a compact box, so if you want to move up to a new level of fidelity and just stick with powered tops I suggest trying the dB technologies Flexsys F315 speakers as they are articulate as well as having significantly more bottom end than any of the 12" + single comp driver options discussed so far in this thread....!

The thing that makes these speakers great in smaller gigs is you can use them without a sub, but the 90x60 dispersion coupled with a dedicated horn for high end duties makes for a really pleasant listening experience for people both very close to and moderately far away from the boxes.

All of the above offerings from RCF/ Yamaha are undoubtedly also very capable and ideal as tops for use with subs.

Hope this helps!

It helps, but still for me this is about something that will work as a loud and punchy monitor wedge. Im used to working with good stuff at my day job (l'acoustic, alcons, etc etc), but I cant spend that amount of money for myself and my own band sadly.

/J

hey there....

see we're back discussing super powerful active 2 way cabs again, so just thought I would add that there are limits to what can be achieved with a 2 way design in a compact box, so if you want to move up to a new level of fidelity and just stick with powered tops I suggest trying the dB technologies Flexsys F315 speakers as they are articulate as well as having significantly more bottom end than any of the 12" + single comp driver options discussed so far in this thread....!

The thing that makes these speakers great in smaller gigs is you can use them without a sub, but the 90x60 dispersion coupled with a dedicated horn for high end duties makes for a really pleasant listening experience for people both very close to and moderately far away from the boxes.

All of the above offerings from RCF/ Yamaha are undoubtedly also very capable and ideal as tops for use with subs.

Hope this helps!

Im intrigued by the db Flexsys. Ive never heard them. I did hear the Opera range and thought them good value and very light. Maybe the 602D is another you could consider, Jonkan but I don think it has the sound quality of the others in the list. I wasnt very keen on any of the 15" version of the speakers I heard. They all had more bass but it was never "better" bass, tending to slow the sound down and reduce its definition. It seems hard to produce a 15" driver that moves as fast as a 12" or smaller. I didnt, however, ever hear the DSR15 but its really big and heavy, even compared to the DSR12.

In reality all the 12" cabs I tested seem to go about as low as each other, irrespective of their paper credentials. The DSR12 is definitely bigger than all the other competitors. The DXR is about the same size as the RCF.

So, to answer your question, for bass Id take the DSR over the any of the RCFs, if you can put up with the weight and size....but the RCF HD12A had plenty enough good quality bass for me and Im not using a sub, any time soon.

I was actually very lucky to hear the Flexsys today in a show environment. I must say, they're lovely!

A 10" and Horn above a 15" Sub doing dance music for a showcase at a good level. Very good, very loud, smooth and generally nice. They sound better crossed at 120Hz with their in-built EQ curve applied over linear.

Josh

A bit confusing is that looking at the specs, the hd12-a actually seems a little bigger than the dsr112 (647x380x380 vs. 638x370x368mm)....Weight is obviously much heavier, but the actual dimensions seems comparable and not bigger, which was Patmarcus impression.

Seems like they are about the same size, but the dsr is a bit heavier.

Still theyre both lighter than the rcf art322ai im using at work, and im totally fine with them ;)

/J

Weird. On stands I couldve sworn the DSRs were more substantial. I was back in the shop today looking at the new version of the 705AS sub versus the 902AS and 905AS. Suonds like you'll have to see them side by side. Unquestionably heavier though.

I think youre veering towards the DSRs and if you get them you'll be very happy. Just watch for that 2" horn. The sound quality's lovely but its quite piercing at high volumes.

Archived