mixer advice

timmiddleton

hi

I'm looking to buy a new mixer and I could do with some advice on brands.

Being still at school I haven't got much time for work so until I leave in June I'm a bit short of cash. So far I've only bought a Behringer UB1202 mixer, but I'm having a gap year next year so I thought I'd upgrade my audio equipment by buying a Mackie active PA and a mixer to go with that.

I want a mixer with 12-16 mic inputs, aux sends for live work and direct outs if I use it for multitrack recording. Onboard effects are not a must but I guess if a mixer has them I don't mind!

So far I've looked at the Behringer MX3242X, Soundcraft M12, and A&H MixWizard3 16:2. I'm sure there are models I haven't looked at though!

I want to spend as little as possible but also get the highest quality I can afford. Budget is not really a problem but obviously I need to save some money from my gap year to pay for stuff when I get to uni!

thanks

Tim

Of those that you suggested the MixWiz is the one that I would prefer to use. Some of the features I like is the expansion options and switchable phantom on each channel

James

Its probably a bit out fo budget but having used the A&H GL2200 I found that it was a pretty easy desk to used. Everything was well layed out and the functions it has are great. being new tto sound I found the subs a great ideas letting me group sets of inputs which is great for stage mics.

the Gl2200 is about £1.5K I think but you could have a look at this

http://www.allen-heath.com/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=40

Hope this helps

Daniel

erm I think you will find the 16ch gl2200 is more like £900 inc vat and with a bit of negotiation you should be able to get about 20% off that one would imagine.

erm I think you will find the 16ch gl2200 is more like £900 inc vat and with a bit of negotiation you should be able to get about 20% off that one would imagine.

That's a good price - where from? (the A&H suggested retail for the 12 channel 4 bus GL2200 is just over a grand inc VAT, according to their website)

Can I just say...

Go for the Allen & Heath console - Mix wizard is v. good desk - amazing amount of features for its size. - 6 auxes! in built fx etc. (if you want that sort of thing)

You're probably sick of hearing it, but when buying a desk, it is always useful to look to the future and think - "will I run out of channels in the future?"

24 channel is always nice, but I can also very much empathise with you, because I'm always buying on price rather than features/quality etc.

Allen and Heath are all hand-built in Devon, so you can be sure of quality at top notch accessible price.

You'll be respected for having an A&H desk I think.

Si

yup, I'd go for the allen and heath.

Not much else to add that hasn't already been said!

Chris

Oh - and A & H are made in cornwall IIRC!!

</end pedant>  ;)

I appologise for having dangerous knowledge (not enough knowledge) - To me, Cornwall and Devon are very nearly the same thing.

But obviously not the same!

;)

Devon? Cornwall?  Oh yes, tin mines and pixies.......... Does that help when you build mixers? Bernard Bootiful Matthews does good turkeys here in Suffolk & Norfolk

Oi! Cornwall and Devon are very different places! :unsure:

Ask the heads of A&H, sure they'll agree!

AND YES I AM FROM CORNWALL! WAS BORN THERE AND.................

<enough of the patriotic rant! ** laughs out loud **

Poppadom

Drifting ever so slightly from the main topic, what's the general opinion on Mackie desks? A mate of mine reckoned they were as good as you were going to get without forking out for A&H but I don't know how much he knows!

Opinions?

Archived