Under 16 - Mobile DJ Insurance.

Light

Hi,

I'm under 16 at the moment, and have been a Mobile DJ for a while. When I go to do discos, before I confirm anything I have to state that I do not have PLI. I know that I need it, but I believe I can't as I'm under 16.

My parents said they would (if legal) take it out in their name for me. I don't know how else I can get PLI. I am not a Ltd business.

Thanks.

In so far as it is illegal for you to "work" I doubt very much that anyone, anywhere will issue a ploicy (ploicy???) policyfor you. Your parents may have the best intentions but I also doubt that it would be legal for them to arrange cover.

If you call the "usual suspects" they may have better info but the prognosis is not good.

Precision Broking

Robertson Taylor

Doodson

Oval Insurance

just googley them with insurance after the name and Robert is your aunt's husband.

I also had the same problem finding someone to insure me when I was under 18. Although not a legal requirement some venues want it. I used to make it plainly clear on the contract that I could not be insured due to age restrictions and therefore accept no liability. Although this may not stand up in a court of law, it made it clear to the venues the situation that I could not control. They often then accepted that fact and I could play. In fact I never had a problem with it in all the local venues. So long as your sensible make sure everything is secure, and generally making sure there are as few risks as possible. E.g. no hanging lights, speakers on the floor you can get away with at small parties, then you shouldn't have a problem and the venues would see that your sensible. There is always going to be the, "what if" but that's always going to be there.

Sadly I think you and your parents are going to have to be very sensible about this. Any PLI they can buy for themselves is unlikely to cover you for this risk, they certainly can't buy it in your name and they are probably in all likelihood responsible already for you when you are working - legally or not. (As far as that goes most local authorities are reasonable and proportionate in enforcement. So don't worry overmuch about that.) But I fear that in the case of an accident your parents might find ambulance chasers coming after them, and if they found that M&D had been ferrying you about on paid business on a car policy that only covered SD&P?

I was the same as you in 1970 and never had to give (or to be honest gave) any of this a thought - you have my deepest sympathy.

Let's be honest. You need to consider your clients. Who is booking you? As an under 18 year old, there is an almost acceptance that as you can't be considered a 'responsible person', then you personally can't have insurance - therefore, the people who book the good, but young DJ will have to take on the extra responsibility. If you are working illegally, then it's not really very much different from the young people working the wrong kind of hours in holiday towns, such as where I live.

You have a hobby, not a business. Are the sort of jobs you are doing actually asking for PLI? If they are, perhaps they assume you are over 18? It seems that if they know you're at school - then asking for PLI is pretty pointless, you personally can't have it, and your parents might find difficulty getting a policy to cover you working illegally?

If you ask the young person next door to clean your car for a few quid, you don't expect them to have insurance - and if they accidentally scratch your car, you're hardly going to sue them? It's commendable you wanting to get insured and be somehow legit - but it's a hobby (at the moment). Don't start wasting time typing up terms and conditions - does anybody actually need them? Even if they were in your favour, it's doubtful somebody could sue you under 16, as legally - you're not able to sign contracts, get credit etc - and won't be until you are 18.

If somebody wants you to do the gig, then do it if you want. If they start asking for paperwork, walk away, because something is a bit wrong somewhere?

From a previous life on MobileDJforums.com Where you should be looking for DJ advice also. The only way for an under 16 to get PLI as a DJ is through Equity, though this was a few years ago, Equity and Musicians Union could both be interesting contacts.

The trouble is that -as already stated above the issues around being under 16 and working are very challenging- There is the Child protection legislation, right through to the alcohol sales laws, through HSWA and lots of others to consider.

It is an offence for a person under 18 to work in a place where alcohol is served unless they are on an industry formal course or apprenticeship (ie Chef etc.) Failure here would put someone's alcohol sales licence at risk.

With most simple PLI/ELI policies, the insurer will stipulate that the named insured person is present at the job, i.e. the policy will cover the actions of someone working under the instructions of the insured, but the insured must be there. In other words the insured cannot subcontract and not be present. In the OP's scenario, from an insurance perspective, I guess a parent could be the insured and the OP on site and working under the instruction of the insured. I guess Dad could be backstage reading the paper, so long as he is present and "in charge". However, it would be prudent to confirm with a potential insurer that their policy allowed a child to work under the instructions of the insured.

Doesn't help on the subject of insurance.. but could being a DJ be considered "performing" rather than "working" ? The rules for child performers are different (although I'm no legal expert) and I assume, from the fact I've seen people under 16 performing in theatre shows at night, that the 7pm restriction doesn't apply ? That said other things come into play like LEA licensing and chaperones so it might not help...

As an aside... if you're only being paid expenses (or equivalent) it doesn't count as "working" does it ?

IMO you are best going onto a DJ and Disco forum and asking their. You will get a better response. :) PM me and I will give you a link to a really helpful and down to earth forum that will help you with what you are after.

Let's be honest. You need to consider your clients. Who is booking you? As an under 18 year old, there is an almost acceptance that as you can't be considered a 'responsible person', then you personally can't have insurance - therefore, the people who book the good, but young DJ will have to take on the extra responsibility. If you are working illegally, then it's not really very much different from the young people working the wrong kind of hours in holiday towns, such as where I live.

You have a hobby, not a business. Are the sort of jobs you are doing actually asking for PLI? If they are, perhaps they assume you are over 18? It seems that if they know you're at school - then asking for PLI is pretty pointless, you personally can't have it, and your parents might find difficulty getting a policy to cover you working illegally?

If you ask the young person next door to clean your car for a few quid, you don't expect them to have insurance - and if they accidentally scratch your car, you're hardly going to sue them? It's commendable you wanting to get insured and be somehow legit - but it's a hobby (at the moment). Don't start wasting time typing up terms and conditions - does anybody actually need them? Even if they were in your favour, it's doubtful somebody could sue you under 16, as legally - you're not able to sign contracts, get credit etc - and won't be until you are 18.

If somebody wants you to do the gig, then do it if you want. If they start asking for paperwork, walk away, because something is a bit wrong somewhere?

Thank you for putting it basically as it is. I understand that it probably is just a hobby at the moment, but as I have a lot of kit just lying in my bedroom and in the loft I'd like to use it more and I thought if I wanted to go public, I'd need to get some PLI to cover my back in the worse case scenario.

From a previous life on MobileDJforums.com Where you should be looking for DJ advice also. The only way for an under 16 to get PLI as a DJ is through Equity, though this was a few years ago, Equity and Musicians Union could both be interesting contacts.

The trouble is that -as already stated above the issues around being under 16 and working are very challenging- There is the Child protection legislation, right through to the alcohol sales laws, through HSWA and lots of others to consider.

It is an offence for a person under 18 to work in a place where alcohol is served unless they are on an industry formal course or apprenticeship (ie Chef etc.) Failure here would put someone's alcohol sales licence at risk.

Oh, I never knew about the alcohol part before (seeing as I did a disco where alcohol was being served, and no questions were asked) but I did have an adult with me throughout the night.

With most simple PLI/ELI policies, the insurer will stipulate that the named insured person is present at the job, i.e. the policy will cover the actions of someone working under the instructions of the insured, but the insured must be there. In other words the insured cannot subcontract and not be present. In the OP's scenario, from an insurance perspective, I guess a parent could be the insured and the OP on site and working under the instruction of the insured. I guess Dad could be backstage reading the paper, so long as he is present and "in charge". However, it would be prudent to confirm with a potential insurer that their policy allowed a child to work under the instructions of the insured.

This is something that I considered doing and Dad said (if I was going to dedicate myself and push this) that he would sit and read a paper, but I understand that because I am under 16 it'll be hard to get anywhere close to insurance,

IMO you are best going onto a DJ and Disco forum and asking their. You will get a better response. :) PM me and I will give you a link to a really helpful and down to earth forum that will help you with what you are after.

Okay, I'll PM you now and try and get some more help.

Thank you to everyone who has taken their time to write a reply to this, I really appreciate it!

PM me and I will give you a link
Is there any reason you can't just post it here in the forum? It's much more helpful to share the information :)

I didn't know where I stood advertising another forum. :) so played it safe and asked to be PMed. If a mod or admin can say that I can post a link I shall.

Archived