Lighting for wedding

Tuppy68

Hi all I could do with some advice on which lighting to hire for my wedding I want to keep it as simple as possible. The lighting I have so far is American dj quad and a fairly large disco ball. Im basically looking for a powerful spot( or spots whatever is best) for the disco ball and some sort of oil lamp effect ie the Martin mania dc3 which I'd like to know if this is any good and maybe some sort of laser effect. The wedding is outdoor in a marquee but I'll have most of the lighting turned off when it gets later as to get some effect from the lights also the wedding is just outside Newcastle if anyone can hire us some lights cheers

Hi Tuppy68,

I work with a large function band that do a lot of weddings in the newcastle area. For our disco in marquee environments we usually try and keep the dance floor lit with some cheap LED disco lights and a off the shelf disco laser. Most marquees we have been in lately have came with a star cloth lining so this is something to check with your supplier. As for hire Stage Electrics based in team valley have a fairly good stock of the martin disco lights personal favourite for disco sound to light work is the EFX500 but they also have the dc3 in stock. As for the mirror ball you'll need to make sure you get it suspended high enough to get the right effect but a source 4 junior or pinspot could do it. Speak to your local hire company, there are a few to choose from in the north east.

Alex

Something that ive seen as very effective at weddings is LED uplighting, with a handful of FX lights on the dance floor for the dances.

On the large disco ball I would be going a small Profile (e.g. Selecon Acclaim, Selecon PAC, s4 Jnr) A pin spot just wont be bright enough me thinks.

This should proove to very effective, and you can change the entire colour of the room if you have enough LED uplights.

Would also recommend putting some LED pars or some pixel lines round the outside of the marquee just to add that little extra effect. If you want lasers then there are some half decent moving head ones around which give a good effect when used in pairs or quads.

Hi

All of the above seems like good advice, but if thinking about lasers make sure you're fully aware of the H and S requirements and guidance relating to their use. Lasers are a great effect if used well but are capable of doing some damage, particularly the more powerful ones. I'm not qualified to give detailed advice, but please make sure you find someone who is.

Thanks trusspin for the good advice thus is truly a great forum I'll have a rethink on the lasers maybe some powerful moving heads for an outdoor effect when it gets dark which will be about 10pm up in Northumberland

Skytrackers would look great, however im not sure if anyone hires them around you...

the usual warnings apply if using near an airport etc (but any reputable hire company should explain this)

Archived