Keyboard Patches

Kingstech

http://www.mtishows.com/resources.asp?id=6_3_0_13&theatricalresourceid=38

I found this while searching MTI shows, and was thinking, is there anything else out there like this? or is this the only one like it?

Also been looking through some scores that I have and they have notes in the score like C043 or B064, which I gather are patch markings, and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the patch documents which might be used in it.

I thought this would be useful to show everyone on here and show your musical directors for upcoming productions.

Also, does anyone know what they use in the professional world on keyboards where they change the sounds instantly, is it this system or are they using software they have made or brought in.

If there is more information on this I would be interested to read more on it as I think it would be really useful to have for our productions and see how they do it in the professional world, and try and incorporate this software in to our productions, also how would we set this type of software up?

Hope this is useful, and I would like to know more about this type of software.

All they are using there in terms of hardware triggering is a midi note command to trigger the next patch in the system. If im correct, you could use something like Mainstage on a Mac, protools and logic will probably be able to do this kind of thing as well.

It's simply a sample player wrapped in a clever interface, linked with the titles they can license. So you play on a midi keyboard, your computer produces the sounds, and you identify one midi note to load the next sounds you need. This isn't new, it's just a nice all in one package. On a midi keyboard, every note has a specific note number. Most sequencers nowadays can run all sorts of samplers as plug ins. You can also on the cleverer ones use midi notes to trigger events. I've got some keys on my master keyboard configured as play, stop, record, rewind, ff etc - When I used to play live, on a clever system - I used a sequencer to handle all the patch changes - so reverb changes on a reverb unit, patch changes on the guitar processor, sound patch changes on the keyboard could all be sent from the sequencer. Over here, it's a bit sad that the licensing agencies aren't so up to date. You pay quite a lot of money for the music, and in most cases, it doesn't take advantage of all the sounds available on modern instruments - however, that's what good MDs do, isn't it?

Technology aside, having the "right" sounds available is such a good idea. In Amateurville, most groups can get the orchestral stuff right (or right-ish!), but they fail miserably on electronic sounds, with often the only keyboard being an (electric) piano.

Were lucky enough that our MD for our School productions has time to listen to the scores and write down what instruments play what on the scores for the keyboards, but that is all time consuming as she has to sit down with the Keyboards they use (Roland XP-10) and figure out what sounds the best and write down the patch number for the keyboard.

This seems to work for us and we get near enough the right sound, but it is an effort to type the patch number in and then press enter whilst reading the score playing the score and focusing on the action on stage.

This technology would work well as we use macs at the school with MIDI inputs and could try and incorporate this in to the next productions.

It just seems to make everything sound more professional and sound like the OST's

I'm playing in the band for a show soon, and most of the songs are from the 60s. Some need a very obvious 'sound' - and in most of the songs there is very little piano at all - 6 and 12 string guitars are critical - and yet the MD is intending to have bass, 2 x keys (thing clavinovas) and drums. Can you imagine how you would play House of the Rising Sun on a piano and have it sound anything remotely guitar-y? As they are set on it, I offered some technology and they didn't see the need at all. It's going to sound simply dreadful. The Beatles and the Searchers don't really lend themselves to Hard Days Night and Walked in the Room played on piano, do they? I suppose it's best to just take the money and just ignore it. For some MDs, a band centres on the piano, and that is that!

Thats a plus point with having these controllers or atleast a decent sized bank of built in sounds in the synths, the XP-10's we use have around 500 sounds and have a wide range of them but some are obvious they are electronic while others are convincing.. the guitars are pretty good.

But agreed sound defo need to be changed from piano to get an authentic sound

Must say we did WWRY 2 years ago and the way the music came was a full orchestral score.. so the MD spent a good month and a half arranging the music for 3 sets of keyboard each person had 2 each.. I managed to get a hold of the scores after the show briefly and quite a lot of the music was supported by the keys with little on the guitars.

yeah, we use mainly the synthy sounds on them, strings, and brass occassionally and the Chior Aahs, apart from that the rest dont get used much, so there are about 10-20 sounds we use a lot on them the rest of the time the others dont seem to work with the music or sound rubbish!

Also been looking through some scores that I have and they have notes in the score like C043 or B064, which I gather are patch markings, and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the patch documents which might be used in it.

You may sometimes see GM ('General Midi') patch numbers referred to which relate to the standard MIDI sound set.

http://www.midi.org/techspecs/gm1sound.php#instrument

most modern keyboards will load what they think is the closest patch when sent a GM patch number....which can be a bit hit and miss!

You may sometimes see GM ('General Midi') patch numbers referred to which relate to the standard MIDI sound set.

http://www.midi.org/....php#instrument

most modern keyboards will load what they think is the closest patch when sent a GM patch number....which can be a bit hit and miss!

Its not them, as the numbers go up throughout the score, so at the beginning of the first song its A001 and by the end its like A006 reading through the music more it looks like triggered notes possibly. If it helps it was the Mamma Mia Keyboard parts

Callum

Archived