Rainbow Pro Scroller Error 20

Martin

Does anyone have a list of error messages for the original rainbow pro scrollers. I have a scroller with an "E 20" error, but can't even get into the menus on the unit. The manual doesn't list the error messages. The manual for the Pro2's does but they must be different as it only goes up to E16.

Hope this helps:

From Rainbow Tech manual

ERROR CODES PRO RANGE

ERROR CODES/MESSAGES – Some are shown together with a slow yellow LED flash.

E-10 No communication between the H8 main processor and the PIC. Could be a physical PIC or PCB

problem.Try with swapping the PIC, U11. Could also be a problem with broken cristal/s, check that both

processors have clock – pulse. Also check U1 and U9 they must give out 0,55V to the CPU and the PIC.

E-11 PIC problem when up and running which could not be solved

Just an early help for bug fixing. Update Software, or swapp PIC

E-20 at all Softwares ,indicates hardware problem with the current sense resistor, R6. No remedy

An early help to indicate this early hardware problem : Check for batch number TEX v9627, whitch

Has to small pads for R4 and R6

E-30 Flash write error – Physical Flash or PCB problem, indicates an unsuccessful writing to the flash

eprom.Try with swapping the flash memory ,U5

E-32-37 Flash sector (2-7) erase error– Physical Flash or PCB problem

E-38 Flash write error (PUT_FBYTE) – Physical Flash or PCB problem

E-39 Unknown REPROG respons – Software related.

E-40 Flash write error (PUT_FBLOCK) – Physical Flash or PCB problem

E-41 Flash write error (FL_FILL) – Physical Flash or PCB problem

E.Pr Flash checksum error in bank 0 or 3 @ power-on – Physical Flash or PCB problem

or manipulated software.

GEL? No gel? - May occur only when calibrating

tiot Timeout when searching position, time out ( too long or broken scroll )

bLOC Blocked rolls (max error in servo) – Can also be caused by too low supply voltage.

4rot 4 rotations without stop - Broken gel? Broken leader during calibration procedure

SOFF Servo switched off by the processor (probably some other error before)

tOut Trailer outside the potentiometer’s working range – See HINTS below.

LOut Leader outside the potentiometer’s working range – See HINTS below.

XXXX Error number (normally toggled with text id) – Record and report to us.

Nnnn 4 digit internal error code

Auto Error normally during auto procedure

UnLd Error normally during manual drive within the unload procedure

UErr Error normally during transport to unload position procedure

Load Error normally during load procedure

RErr Error normally during pre – run procedure

CErr Error normally during calibration procedure

JErr Error normally during join procedure

Terr Trailer Frame Error

LErr Leader Frame Error

• 7 years later...

Hello

I have a broken 6" Pro (not Pro2) scroller, which currently has no scroll in. When I turn it on, the display shows "Load" and "-00-".

If I press the Enter button it flashes between "bLOC" and "oooo" and turns the spindles in quick bursts a number of times. After about 20 seconds, it stops doing this and displays "jErr" and "bLOC" flashing on the display. If I press the arrow keys at this point it starts spinning in pulses again, sometimes in one direction, and sometimes in the other.

Any idea what's wrong here? I'm guessing either the analog pot, or the optical sensor on the motor might not be working, but if anyone has serviced one of these an can give me pointers, that would be very helpful. I can do electronics repair to a fairly advanced level.

I have a tech manual for the Pro2 - are there any docs or service manuals specifically for the Pro1?

Thanks

Martin

Knackered encoder. Frequent problem with Rainbow Pro. We used to ship ours to White Light for repair when they started displaying these calibration errors - the theatre I worked at owned 18 of the first-generation Rainbow Pro 8", and I think pretty much all of them developed this fault at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

As Gareth suggests, this turned out to be failure of the encoder (mounted on the motor). If anyone else has this issue, it's quite easy to fix if you can solder. The part is a Honeywell HOA0901-011, which is currently available from Digikey or Mouser, but is obsolete, so if you have some of these scrollers and want to keep them running for a few more years, then it might be worth buying a few spare encoders, just in case.

Martin

Archived