D&B Audioteknik D6 and D12 amps

tolley1466

Hi All,

This may seem like a silly question but I'm thinking of hiring out two d&b E12 cabs (for FOH) and two MAX wedges for a band gig.

Is it possible that I could run the E12s linked on one channel of a D6/D12 and run 2 MAX wedges on the other amp channel?

Thanks.

Yes, you could. However, remember the MAX wedges are designed to run flat (I think there is a program that isn't quite flat now but they're designed to be run from any amp) So essentially you could just hire the 1 D12 and run your E3's from them, and hire any other suitable amp (probably cheaper to hire) for the MAX

Yes, you could. However, remember the MAX wedges are designed to run flat (I think there is a program that isn't quite flat now but they're designed to be run from any amp) So essentially you could just hire the 1 D12 and run your E3's from them, and hire any other suitable amp (probably cheaper to hire) for the MAX

indeed that's pretty much correct, most max users would run epacs or d series amps in linear mode in essence turning the amp into a normal stereo unit. D&b though do reccomend some limit and eq settings for the max and there are settings for max boxes in the amps which you are better off using. I personally wouldn't use any other amp and I would ask the hire company if they mind as we certainly wouldn't like it too much.

Is wishing to use one amplifier a question of budget or hire availability?

indeed that's pretty much correct, most max users would run epacs or d series amps in linear mode in essence turning the amp into a normal stereo unit. D&b though do reccomend some limit and eq settings for the max and there are settings for max boxes in the amps which you are better off using. I personally wouldn't use any other amp and I would ask the hire company if they mind as we certainly wouldn't like it too much.

Is wishing to use one amplifier a question of budget or hire availability?

Thank for the replies

It's the budget that is the problem..

the only time I use D12 or D6 amps on Maxes is when I need them to run active i.e. needing 2ch as all the crossover points are in the amp programming.

normally I use Maxes in passive mode using a good quality amp i.e. QSC, Lab's etc.

you will need to check from where you are hiring from to see if the maxes are passive or active. to change from one to other remove back panel and move the jumpers across.

colin

I can understand a hire company being a bit funny about you using another amp on their speakers. I don't particularly like it. Infact with stuff like the aspect wide, I'd sooner give someone an amp rack for free if they hire 8 boxes of it as at least I know what's driving them and that it wont be a pile of 40 year old 100watt amps that have been in a lake for the last 5.

However, IF you have a SUITABLE amp to drive them, and you tell the hire company this, then they shouldn't have a problem. The fact of the matter is, you're liable for the equipment when it's on hire to you anyway, but they'll probably remind you of this. D&B Boxes DO fail, even with the correct settings on the D12. The Q series is particularly susceptible for this.

Rob

If budget is the problem would it surely not be more sensible to look for a more appropriately priced rig for the gig that isn't D&B? There are many other brands and manufacturers out there that come cheaper to hire.

Regards

Dom

Also, if I remember correctly the Max wedge is wired as standard for four wire operation, in that if you only plug in a 2 core cable on NL4 that is wired pins 1+- only you will only get LF out of the box. You can set the box for two wire operation by removing the connector plate, but then again, if you did that to my boxes on hire I would not be happy about it. Likewise if you used an amp (such as the QSC PLX series) that was set up to present chA on 1+- and chB on2+- (on it's chA speakon socket) and you used 4 core NL4 cable you would get chA driving the LF and chB driving the HF of the box, and box on the chB speakon socket having its LF driven from chB....... I would do a picture to explain it better but it's 2am and I need sleep

• 3 weeks later...

Epac's are a waste of time, they run out of steam very quickly and you have to remeber to change the ohm settiing on the amp if your going from a single max to a pair or visa versa. I would go for either the D6 or D12 depending on what your power requirements are.

If you decide to use only a single amp, remember that you will not have stereo for your FOH.

You should only ever use D&B speakers with D&B amps. D&B design the speaker for efficency (size, weight, output) and then EQ it to get the sound they want, you need their amps to get the sound as it is processed and they also have their own safety limiter built in. I have been working with D&B gear for around 10 years now and have unfortunately have heard them running through different amps and controllers, and they sound soding horrible.

I have never seen d&b Max wedges driven off D12 or D6 or P1200 probably because they are too expensive....

From d&b's website

MAX cabinets may also be driven by any high quality power amplifier provided their output power does not exceed 500 Watts into 8 ohms and an additional subsonic filter (25 Hz and 12 dB/octave) is used.

I've known Q1 and Q7's (same really) have major issues when really driven hard. The first time I heard about it through someone else was Mark Payne told me that he'd had a few boxes come back from hire with problems. Since then I've known a number of people have issues. It seems the passive network may not limit the power it can send to the HF. Although I believe I've heard of issues with the 10's aswell.

I don't own any D&B (ok I have a single lone E0 that I'd sell for the right price) but have used it plenty of times. It's often very nice, but not necessarily bomb proof.

Rob

D&B did have a manufacture problem with the glue that holds the coil to the hf driver, the glue would melt under high load and would thus unstick the components. The issue was resolved some time ago.

Q1,Q10 and Q7 use the same drivers.

Other than the manufacture issue, I have only had to change maybe 3 or 4 drivers in the past 6 years, and these have been due to either being used outside and the thunderstorm got them a tad wet.... well alot wet really ** laughs out loud **, or when the amps have hit overload after being unmuted with a large input level (well accidents happen).

"I have never seen d&b Max wedges driven off D12 or D6 or P1200 probably because they are too expensive...."

I will only ever run Max's from these amps, if you do an a/b test between the epac and these, apart from the obvious level difference, they sound alot better, and if you run them in active.... well you have to hear it, it really is that good.

At the end of the day though, every speaker breaks if you push it hard enough, for long enough.... over the years I've seen Turbo, Martin, Nexo, EV amoungst others blow in similar conditions, I've even seen systems fail because of a limiter or compressor being set up wrong and square waving the pa. (Another reason to remove those ###### things)

Archived