did I blow up my friends HF drivers?

marsh

Hello, you all seem like a knowledgeable bunch so I was hoping someone could help me out.

I recently used a friends PA to put on a show at a small venue. The set up is some kind of yamaha amp (700W per channel) into Peavey Hisys subs and peavey impulse 200 tops. During the gig, the HF drivers in the tops stopped working (both of them at once). One of his friends mentioned something cryptic about a compressor being the culprit. I used a compressor on the vocals before the mixer. I personally dont see how that could have blown the HF drivers but hell, I dont know everything (or most things)

Basically, any ideas? Was it me ;) ?

Cheers

Hmm, not really a noise boy meself, so not able to suggest a huge amount, but the fact that both of the HFs failed at the same time leads me to think that it might be some sort of overtemp protection (or similar) in the amp kicking in, rather than the drivers themselves getting toasted.

Have you tried the drivers on the end of another amp? Was there any evidence of audible distortion or other such unpleasantness before they gave up?

Yip sorry to say but I think you have tosted your drivers. I wouldnt get to upset about it, its one of the things iv found with Peavey horns. I dont think it would of been the compressor just one of those unlucky things. singer might of just hit the right note to take them out.

Barry

Cheers for the help guys.

Actually, finally managed to get the stupid speaker cabinets apart and I think I might just have blown up those little lightbulb things (I assume thats what "Soundguard HF Driver protection" is).

Oh well, hopefully thats cheaper than the horns (assuming they're not knackered too)

blowing the bulbs on peaveys isn't too hard - the snag is that it does give a false sense of security - one band I know fell out with me big time when they brought back a set of hisys 2's with one of the tops dead. they told me "we blow ours regularly - it's always the bulb!" True, the lamp had gone, but while overdriving it, they managed to wreck the lf driver too. I've never seen anything like it - the cone had ripped all the way around, the voice coil wasn't attached to the cone at all!

• 3 years later...

ive changed a few of these in my time, yes its a normal car lamp, from memory its a 12v 25w lamp?

However dont get your hopes up, about half of the lamps ive changed in my time have also had the horns blown (yeah ironic I know)

but hopefully itll be OK

edit : one quick thing about the cause, I noticed you said you compressed the vocals, I presume there were no drums wired into this system?

I noticed you said you compressed the vocals, I presume there were no drums wired into this system?

Not I, that was the previous poster.

Well, first thing to do is fit a bulb, then test the hf diver I suppose.....

Anyone got a clue where I can get a pair of Black Widows for the Hisys 2RX cabs? The prior owner appears to have swapped them for scorpions & I would really like to get them back to original spec. I am in S Wales, so the more local to here, the better

Thx

sorry, im still getting the hang of this forum

I presume you mean the entire driver + basket etc,

I used to work for a company in Cheltenham 01242 222721 Sound and Vision, they can get all the Peavey bits from Peavey direct, could also post them to you, but could even be a day out for yourself <_<

about 6 months ago they had a matched pair of Complete Drivers from old Hysis 2's (rated 350w RMS like they used to be) from someone who upgraded to the new style 500W ones, might be worth asking if they still have them

Archived